DiskStream Announces Immediate Availability of Capsa®; Cost-Effective Turnkey Video Archiving Solution for Media Entertainment Industry
Capsa Integrates Rich Archive and Asset Management Capabilities with Open and Inexpensive Storage Technologies, Enabling Broadcasters to Eliminate Inefficiencies of Legacy Video Tape Archives
WATERLOO, ONTARIO (December 13, 2006) - DiskStream® Incorporated (
), a provider of innovative media management solutions, announced today the immediate availability of Capsa, its ground-breaking video archiving solution.
Capsa is an economical, turnkey and future-proof system for file-based archiving of video content including broadcast news, commercials and other programming. Tailored to the needs of small market broadcasters and specialty channels, Capsa dramatically improves access to archived media content and eliminates the high cost, inefficiency and inconvenience inherent in video tape archiving.
“A successful trial with a leading national broadcaster has shown that facilities finally have an economical alternative to archiving on video tape that provides powerful search and browse capabilities with instant access to the content.” said Ian Russell, president of DiskStream. “Using a Capsa 6125 archive with 12.0 TB of RAID-6 protected SATA storage and DVD robot, the station was able to migrate a significant volume of legacy archived news content from their news production system and tape library, making it immediately available for re-use through Capsa‘s search, preview and restore features.”
With Capsa, production staff can find relevant and useful clips with a Google™-like search feature, preview low-resolution proxies, and quickly restore relevant files with a simple drag and drop command--all from the convenience of their desktop computer.
Capsa archives content on today‘s open and inexpensive storage technologies, including an internal hard disk array or externally on data DVD. Capsa supports a range of open, industry-standard essence, metadata and container formats, ensuring valuable media and metadata will never be trapped within a proprietary database--eliminating any future migration concerns.
“The challenges facing this customer are representative of the mounting issues this market is facing on a daily basis - massive investments in video tape archives literally perishing on the shelves with no clear options or strategies for migrating the trapped content into a more accessible form,” continued Russell. “We are very pleased to witness first-hand how Capsa eliminates workflow bottlenecks created by legacy tape libraries while simultaneously and immediately transforming those same libraries into valuable assets.”
Capsa: Improving Access to Archived Media, Eliminating Migration Costs
Capsa automatically archives video content and other files on nearline SATA storage or offline data DVDs. Media files are submitted to archive through a simple network file copy. Archived material remains easily accessible through a Google™-like search, low-resolution preview, and single-click restore - all from the user‘s desktop. Based on industry standards, and providing tools for migration to any future archive platform, Capsa breaks new ground in terms of openness, accessibility and affordability. Capsa innovative features provide a wide range of benefits, including:
- Open, Low-Cost Storage Options: Drive down costs--leverage today‘s open and inexpensive storage technologies, including SATA hard drives for nearline archiving, or data DVD for back-up and offline archiving.
- Search and Preview Tools: Streamline access to archived media--locate and retrieve clips and stock footage at your desktop using a Google-like search, preview low-resolution proxies, and restore clips with a single click.
- Flexible Ingest and Metadata Import Tools: Preserve existing archive investments--batch capture existing media and reconcile it automatically with metadata imported from existing databases and news production systems (e.g. ENPS).
- Future-Proof File Formats: Protect your investment going forward--ensure archived media and valuable metadata never become trapped within a proprietary repository--Capsa supports open, industry-standard essence, metadata and container formats.
- Metadata Quality-Control: Maximize media value--enforce rules for metadata completeness and consistency, significantly increasing the potential to repurpose assets in the archive.
Pricing and Availability
Capsa is available immediately, with pricing starting at less than $30,000. Capsa is available in 4.0, 12.0 and 18.0 TB nearline storage configurations with optional DVD robot for offline archiving. For more details, please visit
DiskStream develops innovative, easy-to-use products that enable companies in the media and entertainment industry to get the most out of their content assets and the best from their creative resources. DiskStream‘s easy-to-use products facilitate the location, movement and interchange of digital media assets within modern production and broadcast facilities. These solutions are uniquely open, accessible and affordable, bringing the benefits of media asset management to an entirely new audience. Located in Waterloo, Ontario, within Canada‘s Technology Triangle, DiskStream Incorporated was founded in 2004 and is privately venture funded. For more information, please visit
Kevin M. Bourke, BourkePR