Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A — November 11, 2020 — Boris FX Mocha Pro 2021 delivers the next evolution in planar motion tracking. The Mocha Pro 2021 release builds upon its Academy and Emmy Award-winning technology to give visual effects artists, editors, and colorists the most significant new feature to date. Mocha Pro 2021’s PowerMesh tracking, warped spline, and warped stabilization workflows provide the most accurate results on time-consuming visual effects tasks including tracking organic moving objects such as musculature, skin, and fabrics.
Mocha Pro 2021 is now available as a plugin for Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, and OFX host applications including Foundry Nuke, Autodesk Flame, Blackmagic Fusion, VEGAS Pro, and HitFilm (and as a standalone application) with affordable monthly and annual subscription options.
Post-production professionals have long relied on Mocha’s planar tracking to accomplish high-end visual effects on the industry’s most acclaimed projects. Artists have recently used Mocha Pro on Stranger Things (Netflix), The Mandalorian (Disney+), Westworld (HBO), and Avengers: Endgame (Marvel).
”Tracking organic and moving warped surfaces with realistic results is probably the most challenging job a VFX artist can work on. If there is one feature that the Mocha user base has consistently asked for, this is it,” says Ross Shain, Chief Product Officer, Boris FX. “Our engineering team did an amazing job developing a unique sub-planar image processing workflow that delivers the accuracy, speed, and usability that Mocha is known for, and the shared image warping code from our Silhouette team produces high-quality warped-stabilized render results.”
Shain continues, “PowerMesh not only simplifies complex digital makeup and touch-up work. It can also speed up rotoscoping. Other key new features such as Alembic exports, the revamped AdjustTrack Module, and the new ability to export Apple ProRes in the standalone make this a significant Mocha Pro release. We look forward to seeing the amazing things our customers will do with Mocha Pro 2021.”
Early beta testers react to the Mocha Pro 2021 release:
“I have taught Mocha Pro to upcoming visual effects artists for over 10 years and have to say that PowerMesh tracking is one of the most exciting new tools from Boris FX,” states Daniel Smith, Senior Compositor, Crafty Apes, and author of Nuke Codex: Nodes within Nodes. “PowerMesh is incredibly fast and easy to use from my experience in beta testing. Mocha Pro 2021 delivers better results than some of the optical flow-based tools that are out there.”
“PowerMesh simplifies the typically tedious and unpredictable motion vector workflow,” remarks Katie Morris, Senior VFX Artist, and professor at fxphd.com. “Now I can quickly track a custom mesh, mask out obstructions, and export the tracked and warped mesh to a variety of hosts to assist with painting on organic moving surfaces. As a bonus, we also get warped splines. There’s incredible potential here to help make organic roto procedural-based.”
Mocha Pro 2021 Highlights:
- New! PowerMesh: Mocha’s dynamic PowerMesh tracking is the next evolution of the incomparable and award-winning planar motion tracking technology. Users can now accurately track complex warped surfaces for advanced match moves, digital retouching, and stabilization with a workflow that is faster and more accurate than optical flow-based techniques. Track and composite graphics, scars, tattoos, blood, and digital makeup with ease.PowerMesh tracking can be rendered for a warped stabilize/ destabilized compositing workflow that will work in almost any VFX or editing host. PowerMesh dense tracking data can also be exported to Adobe After Effects, Foundry Nuke, Autodesk Flame, Blackmagic Fusion, and other 3D applications via the addition of new support for Alembic exports.
- New! Improved AdjustTrack module: Correcting slipping or drifting tracking errors has never been easier. Refined user interface and controls offer dynamic adjustments to achieve perfect results on difficult tracking shots. Once limited to 4-point perspective fixes, AdjustTrack now includes all planar track parameters to be more effective in editing and interpolating data when objects go off-screen or become occluded by foreground objects.
- New! Updated Python Script Editor: Mocha Pro’s plugin for Adobe, Avid, and OFX now includes the Python Script Editor which enables developers and coders the freedom and ability to build new tools, automate processes, and integrate with external asset management tools. Python scripting brings more complete feature parity between the Mocha Pro standalone application and the plugin options.
- New! Performance & Stability: Mocha Pro 2021 is updated with under-the-hood engineering features to increase performance and stability in a variety of environments. The Mocha Pro plugin now runs an out-of-process, freeing up system resources for a better user experience. Mocha Pro’s standalone application can now read and export more file formats including Apple ProRes.
Pricing & Availability
Mocha Pro 2021 is available with affordable pricing and subscription (annual and monthly) options: plugins for Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, and OFX hosts, including Autodesk Flame, Blackmagic Fusion, Foundry Nuke, VEGAS Pro, and HitFilm (or as a standalone application).
- Multi-host option (includes all supported host plugins: Adobe, Avid, OFX)
- Single license: $995
- Upgrades start at $395
- Annual subscription: $395
- Monthly subscription: $50
- Individual host option (choose one supported host plugin: Adobe, Avid, OFX)
- Single license: $695
- Upgrades start at $295
- Annual subscription: $295
- Monthly subscription: $37
- Multi-host option + standalone application
- Single license: $1495
- Upgrades start at $595
- Annual subscription: $595
- Monthly subscription: $75
About Boris FX
Founded in 1995, Boris FX is a leading developer of VFX, compositing, titling, video editing, and workflow tools for broadcast, post-production, and film professionals. Boris FX products have grown to serve over a million artists worldwide. The company’s success lies in its ability to tightly integrate and leverage technologies through strong partnerships with Adobe, Apple, Avid, Blackmagic Design, Autodesk, Grass Valley, Magix, and other leading developers of video editing software. In 2014, Boris FX acquired Imagineer Systems, the Academy Award-winning developer of Mocha planar tracking software. In 2016, Boris FX acquired GenArts, the developer of Sapphire, the gold standard plug-in package for high-end visual effects. In 2019, Boris FX acquired Academy Award-winning SilhouetteFX and Digital Film Tools for advanced feature film rotoscoping, painting, and effects.
Jessie Electa Petrov
Director of Marketing, Boris FX