Release 1.4 for Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack is now available as a free download from the Matrox Web site to all registered users. This release implements important new features, including Panasonic VariCam workflow support that allows users to ingest, edit and output at 23.98 fps via SDI, plus additional cost-saving HD closed captioning support.
Matrox’s closed-captioning workflow support has been expanded. Users no longer need to spend time and money re-creating HD captioning data that is typically lost when editing projects in Final Cut Pro. Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack offer a unique workflow to capture, play back and preserve closed captioning data while editing. Nothing is destroyed, even when trimming or color-correcting video clips.
In addition, Matrox has worked with CPC to develop a solution that allows the MacCaption software to encode, decode, edit and create HD and SD closed captioning for use with Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack. In release 1.4, Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack offer a cost-effective way to monitor HD timelines containing closed captioning data on SDI and component SD monitors, while also inserting closed captioning information into line 21 of active video for SD deliverables. HD and SD masters containing closed captions can be delivered simultaneously.
“We strive to continually add value to our Matrox MXO2 product line by providing customers with the features they need to support today’s most popular workflows,” says Wayne Andrews, product manager at Matrox. “We are especially proud of the work we have done to make HD closed captioning more affordable and easier to do for Final Cut Pro and MacCaption users.”
Key features of Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack
- Works with Intel-based MacBook Pros, Mac Pros and Apple Xserve systems
- HD/SD-SDI, HD/SD analog component, Y/C and composite inputs and outputs
- Genlock: SD analog black burst (bi-level) or HD tri-level sync
- HDMI input, output and monitoring with calibration controls including blue-only
- 10-bit real-time hardware up/down/cross-conversion on capture and output
- Up to five user-selectable simultaneous video outputs: HD and/or SD on HDMI, SDI and analog
- Professional audio inputs and outputs with surround sound monitoring
- RS-422 machine control for frame-accurate capture and print-to-tape
- Captures to a variety of codecs, including Apple ProRes 422 HQ and 10-bit uncompressed HD
- File-based workflow support: XDCAM, XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, P2, P2HD
- RED workflow support
- HD-SDI closed captioning support
- Works with Final Cut Pro, Apple Color, Adobe After Effects and all QuickTime applications that support the V-out component
- Also available with Matrox MAX technology for faster-than-real-time H.264 HD encoding
Price and Availability
The Matrox MXO2 product line is available through a worldwide network of authorized dealers. Matrox MXO2 is priced at $1,595 and Matrox MXO2 Rack is priced at $1,995. Release 1.4 software is available to registered users as a free download from the Matrox Web site.
Units with the Matrox MAX option for faster-than-real-time H.264 HD encoding will be available in summer 2009. Matrox MXO2 with the MAX option is priced at $1,995. Matrox MXO2 Rack with the MAX option is priced at $2,395.