announced a key advancement of the company’s Academy Award-winning 3D animation system for AI-driven characters and digital stunts with Massive 2.0. Now shipping, the 2.0 release adds such features as Smart Stunts_, fully anti-aliased viewing of agents and scenes, facial blend shape support, new motion tree workflow, and a host of updates that streamline and speed the software’s overall operation and UI.
Since it enabled epic-level crowd creation on The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, Massive has been adopted by many top film, television and commercial visual effects and production studios to meet the challenge of producing realistic CG crowd and stunt animation with anywhere from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of digital characters. Massive 2.0 brings a number of new technologies to Massive’s celebrated autonomous agent simulations while significantly improving the ease with which artists learn and use the application.
Highlights of Massive 2.0 include:
* Facial blend shape animation – Produce hero-quality animation using Massive with new blend shape animation for characters placed close to the camera. Also, blend shape animation can be imported into Massive.
* Agents now have a memory – Create more realistic behavior with Massive agents that now remember things and base their actions on what they’ve seen and experienced.
* Active motion tree technology – Improved workflow for controlling the actions of Massive agents using interactive motion trees.
* Full Massive Smart Stunts_ functionality – Create dynamic digital stunts based on motion capture.
* Agents can paint – Use our new agent painting tool to create foot prints, ant trails, wakes of ships, and lots more.
* Audible agent sound – Massive agents have always been able to hear and make sounds. Now the users can hear the sounds they make, too, enabling better interaction when designing agents.
* Full-scene anti-aliasing — Cleaner, clearer interactivity and previews all the time in Massive with agents and scenes that are anti-aliased in the main View window.
* More efficient rendering – Speed rendering of Massive scenes through improved rendering technology.
* Superior hierarchical placement – Populate a siege tower with characters and place multiple copies of the entire hierarchy at one go.
* Animated background images—Load animated background images into a camera.
* Enhanced tutorials – Master Massive quickly with our new learning materials.
Massive 2.0 is available now. Permanent interactive licenses are priced at $18,000 USD plus $4,000 per year for updates and support. Additional licenses can be leased as needed for $2,000 per license per month, including support.