At a press conference at the Cine Gear Expo trade show in Hollywood over the weekend, Sony Electronics announced plans for its next-generation CineAlta digital motion picture camera system. According to a press release, "This latest addition to the CineAlta family is being developed through careful research and close collaboration with creative professionals including directors, cinematographers and digital imaging technicians. Through the implementation of features demanded by the industry, Sony is demonstrating its commitment to innovation and the creative freedom needed for feature filmmaking and production."
Technology highlights and key benefits:
- Full Frame 36x24mm sensor exclusively designed for this Digital Motion Picture Camera
- Aspect ratio-agnostic—including Full Frame, Super 35mm 4K 4-perf, 4:3 anamorphic and 4K spherical 3-perf 17:9
- New image sensor enabling exceptional picture quality
- Maintains the workflow established with Sony's 16-bit RAW/X-OCN and XAVC
- Compatible with current and upcoming hardware accessories for CineAlta cameras (DVF-EL200 Full HD OLED viewfinder, AXS-R7 recorder, AXS-CR1 and AR1 card reader, AXS and SxS memory cards).