is thrilled to announce the worldwide release of its revolutionary Ninja: a portable touchscreen HD recorder, monitor and playback device that captures video direct to Apple ProRes from any camera with an HDMI output onto low-cost, removable 2 1/2 inch hard disks. Ninja is available immediately worldwide for only $995 USD. Ninja will be demonstrated at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Convention from April 11-14, 2011, at the Atomos Booth (SL9105).
Ninja transforms video production by:
– Eliminating the need for capture cards and wasted time logging and capturing by avoiding the lossy, time consuming capture to edit process.
– Bypassing the image-degrading compression needed to squeeze HD onto in-camera flash storage like P2, SxS, SDHC etc..
– Providing limitless and cheap storage through the use of abundant removable 2 1/2 inch laptop hard disks.
– Including all accessories in one rugged case – Batteries, Chargers, Disk Caddies and a PC/Mac docking station.
– Recording to a high quality editing codec at the camera, in the field – simple.
– Recycling older cameras with obsolete tape and compression technology and updates them with a modern, high-quality file-based workflow
– Banishing worries about battery life with “looping”, hot-swappable batteries
Hidden inside Ninja’s compact design is a hardware implementation of the Apples ProRes codec: a bit-perfect rendition of Apple’s professional compression system that’s designed to leave your final images looking as good as when they first hit your camera’s sensor.
Atomos’ unique battery-looping technology means that you never have to interrupt a Ninja recording to swap power cells. Just unplug the old battery and replace it with a fully charged one.
Ninja makes it easy to get video off your camera and onto your computer, with FireWire 800, USB 2 and 3 and e-SATA interfaces built in. Apple ProRes works natively with Final Cut Pro and on any computer with the ProRes codec installed (including suitably configured PCs).
Ninja is simple to use as well, with a no-nonsense, intuitive touchscreen that doubles as a viewfinder and playback monitor.
“It’s hard to overstate the significance of the Ninja for anyone that makes video,” said Jeromy Young, CEO, Atomos. “We’ve worked with Apple to perfect our implementation of Apple ProRes, and using it is like storing a fine painting by gently rolling it up, instead of screwing it into a ball and throwing good data away, which is what the in-camera codecs do”.
Better quality from your camcorder. Infinite cheap storage. No worries about battery life. Ideal for everything from low-cost DSLRs to professional camcorders, Ninja transforms the way you work with video.
Pricing and Availability
Atomos Ninja is available now for $995 USD. For information about regional Ninja dealers, please email:
. To contact dealers in EMEA regions, please contact: David Shapton, President, Atomos EMEA,
Atomos improves the working lives of videomakers by designing cutting-edge, affordable tools that make the best possible use of recent advances in hardware and software. Based in Australia, Hong Kong, and UK, and with a worldwide distribution network, Atomos has a range of groundbreaking products lined up for release over the coming months and years. Further product information can be found at