Thread: NTSC to PAL for festival DVD in Europe

Default NTSC to PAL for festival DVD in Europe

I know this has been discussed some on other threads, but my questions were not exactly covered. I have two shorts I am trying to send to a festival in Europe and need to convert NTSC to PAL. I have both the uncompressed QT files and the NTSC m2v files from the NTSC DVDs I made previously. Which is best to use as source material for the PAL DVD? I have FCP Studio with Compressor-2 and DVDSP-4. Though I hear Compressor is very slow, my preference is to use it rather than adding third-party software to the equation. I have no idea which PAL setting I should use for the conversion. I came accross this MacWorld article (http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/secr...index.php?pf=1) that suggests I should set the Deinterlace Menu to "Better" not "Best" to avoid artifacts in the final video. Now, I know MacWorld is not exactly aimed at the pro market, so I thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts on that before tying up my computer for the long and slow conversions on potentially less than the ideal settings.

Also, do I need to make other changes for the DVD to work on PAL players, or is it a simple matter of using the previous DVDSP files and switching out the NTSC movies for the new PAL ones? Sorry for the novice questions. I do appreciate any help.

The PM you got for me should be fairly comprehensive. In addition, I would emphasize you check with the festival regarding playback equipment and standards. You may find you are in the clear. That is the main point I had no clue on in my response to you. Good luck. Have fun.

Hi

first the good news. PAL DVD players can cope with NTSC discs. The bad news is that the display devices may not - TVs fine, projectors possibly not.
    I'm guessing what was in the PM - why not put it on the thread, save us all guessing :-) - but my guess is you were told to go with the QTs, don't recompress compressed files. The article is now outdated, the version of compressor then in use sometimes did bad things with de-interlacing and very bad things with 2-pass encoding. But your mileage may vary.
    And you need to change all your graphics and stills assets to 720x576. Sorry about that.
    Phil Ashby | 2-pop guide
    Bright Filament, Bath UK | www.brightfilament.com

Hi:

I'm just had my first call to convert a 90 minute NTSC video to PAL. I tried a 1 minute test clip using compressor 2 and it took 1 hour. I also used the settings discussed in the Macworld article. I put the whole 90 minute movie in compressor and I got an estimated time of about 80 hours. This sure doesn't seem to practical. Does anyone know how good the nattress conversion plug in is?

Rex
    Rex Beanland
    WhitePine Productions
    Calgary AB,
    http://www.whitepineproductions.ca

Nattress has had good reviews here in the past - quality was generally agreed to be superior to previous (before V 2.3) versions of Compressor. The reviews are still good and his technical arguments seem pretty solid on the website - but I see that the Nattress convertor is now recommended for clips not sequences, which will also impinge on your workflow.
    Last edited by Phil_A; 05-24-2007 at 04:44 AM.
    Phil Ashby | 2-pop guide
    Bright Filament, Bath UK | www.brightfilament.com

Try JES.
    It's free.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jeschot/home.html

JES Deinterlacer v3.2 (756 kB)
    Last edited by Zwick; 05-24-2007 at 01:17 PM.