Thread: AG-DV2000 won't accept DV tapes

Default AG-DV2000 won't accept DV tapes

Hi. My trusty Panasonic AGDV2000 DV deck has acquired a mysterious problem. While it still accepts miniDV tapes just fine, for some reason it will not accept full-size DV cassettes. Either it simply rejects the tape entirely, struggles to get the tray to close, or closes and gives me an error message to effect of "this tape is an incorrect type".

Is there something I can do myself, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and take her in for service?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Same problem, inserting a large-size DV tape gets me nothing. Tape does not load. Small sized DV tapes work great. What gives? Is this worth fixing?
    Rich

Administrator

When you say large size- what do you mean?
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Hello Noah,
    I met you in the hallway at the Mirage (I think). You were arriving at the DVXUsers suite, I was leaving.
    Sorry about the nomenclature...my problem with my VTR happens when I try to use Panasonic AY-DV124MQ or Panasonic AY-DV188MQ. These are not DVCPRO tapes. The problem doesn't happen with Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ. These are mini-DV tapes.
    Rich in Omaha.

Administrator

Hmm- not certain but I kinda doubt those tape sizes are supported by the HVX.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Quote Originally Posted by tkusterb
    Hi. My trusty Panasonic AGDV2000 DV deck has acquired a mysterious problem. While it still accepts miniDV tapes just fine, for some reason it will not accept full-size DV cassettes. Either it simply rejects the tape entirely, struggles to get the tray to close, or closes and gives me an error message to effect of "this tape is an incorrect type".

Is there something I can do myself, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and take her in for service?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Noah, according to the manual for my Panasonic AGDV2000 DV deck (refer to the above post) it is indeed supposed to accept both large and small sized DV tapes. All one has to do is look at the loading tray to realize that large tapes should work. But this is not the case. Inserted large tapes don't thread as they are supposed to do. Anyone else having this problem?

Rich in Omaha

PS - I checked out the HVX-200 camera in Las Vegas...seems like a nice little camera.
    Last edited by Warrior8445; 09-06-2006 at 06:06 PM.

New User

Default AG-DV2000 repair procedure

Here's the quick answer. You need Panasonic part number VXA5991 to fix this. I got one in September, 2010 and it worked out great. I needed another one in November, 2010 and Panasonic said it was discontinued. I am now looking for another source. Replacing this part requires the service manual and a significant amount of detective work. Or, you could take it to a qualified service technician.

The part in question is the left side of the cassette tray. It contains the mechanical levers that detect the full-sized DV cassette (the ones that record 3 hours and longer) and lock the mechanism in place to move the reel tables to the large position. When this lever fails, the reel tables remain in the mini position and full-sized DV tapes can't drop down into the loading position.

I hope this helps.
    Bruce