Thread: Sony LUMA Series monitors at NAB

Default Sony LUMA Series monitors at NAB

Did anyone get a chance to check out these new SOny Professional LCD monitors.

Are they really as pro as they say? ANd how does this set of LCD compare to sony's crt in colour reproduction etc.

I'm asking 'cause i'm upgrading and dont have much room in the new place and was wondering what people thought about these monitor in a post production cenario.

How do they hold up or do they hold up at all?

I remember when sony first introduced those HR monitors, the first shipment looked really soft and were recalled, just being wary.

Nigel

Default Re: Sony LUMA Series monitors at NAB

PLEASE HELP

New User

I spoke with a few Sony reps while at NAB and looked fairly closely at their Luma series monitors. They are not anywhere near as color accurate as the pro CRTs. I don't know if they can be calibrated like a normal CRT either. They still have a fairly restrictive viewing angle which isn't good for a client environment.

It's too bad to see Sony going along with the "demand" and trimming their CRT production. One Sony guy I spoke with said to expect to see potential price INCREASES in the next couple of years on CRT models as the production numbers come down for tubes in the CRT displays.

thanks for posting Hatter:

Well The Blacks in LCD's are normally really high so I thought sony would have compensated for this in some manner, (guess I was wrong).

Right now it's a toss up between the 20L5 and the luma 210.
    But it seens my concerns about accuracy are very valid.
    I guess I'll have to make my space work then , thanks

Nigel

Hey guys, I would like to hear your opinions on Black Magic's HD LINK in this regard.
    Would this be a viable route for accurate image assesment in the standard broadcast realm? It certainly looks intriguing from a finishing on film and Hi Def TV perspective.

New User

Ernest,

I also was interested in Black Magic's little HD-SDI -> DVI conversion box used with the Apple Cinema Display. I checked it out while at NAB as well.

It looked fairly good, but still had similiar issues to Sony's Luma monitors when compared to direct-view CRT. It was hard to judge because they weren't sitting side by side and Sony had a better viewing environment than was present at Black Magic's booth, but the feeling that I got was that the Luma series monitors looked a little bit better than the Black Magic/Apple Cinema display combo.

Having said that, if I were going to be buying a high definition LCD viewing monitor, I would definitely go the Black Magic route due to cost alone. Sony's Luma monitors were significantly more expensive, and not _that_ much better to justify the cost. Although they would offer a more versatile approach if you needed different input configurations that just HD-SDI.

As always, if you're interested in these displays - try to find a place where you can view them all side by side before plunking down the $$$$$'s.

Good Luck,
    Steve