Thread: Frame dropping

New User

Default Frame dropping

I have a 1.8 Ghz, G5, with 1.5 GB SDRAM and I am trying to print two separate projects to tape on a Sony DSR-11 with FCP 4.1.1.

Both projects are stored on a Lacie external hard drive and keep dropping frames when printing (Aborted ETT/PTV -dropped frames). They occasionally drop frames when I am just playing back straight off the computer as well.

One of the projects was created on another G4 and has never had any frame dropping issues until I tried to print to video or play it on the G5. The second one was created on the G5 and has had problems trying to print off of several different computers.

I closed all open sequences and turned off "unlimited RT" and the problem still exists. Any ideas. Thanks.

Ron

Administrator

Default Re: Frame dropping

I would make certain that everything is rendered before attempting Print To Tape (you really wouldn't use Edit to Tape with a DSR-11 since you do not have insert editing capabilities with this deck and without RS422 interface). In fact, I never use PTT but just play from timeline. Critical here is rendering (mixing down) audio. That is so often a cause of dropped frames. I would also strongly consider getting your DSR11 and FW drives off the same bus. Add a separate FW card for your drives. This is our latest version of "take two aspirin and call me in the AM." There really seems to be some kind of issue with FW devices talking to each other.

Ned Soltz
    2-pop Guide

I also strongly urge getting a Hitachi 250 GB SATA internal media drive.

Use that and eliminate the FW bottleneck.

Under $225.00 at zipzoomfly.com

New User

Thanks for your feedback. Everyting is rendered and the dropped frames are occasionally in playbeack as well.
    I am still a bit of a newbie to all of this so would you mind clarifying a few things for me?

You said, "I would also strongly consider getting your DSR11 and FW drives off the same bus. Add a separate FW card for your drives."

What do you mean by same "bus" and not sure what you mean by add a separte FW card for the drives?

THanks.

Ron

Administrator

Let me try to come at this a bit differently for you to see if I can help.

First, internal media drives are always better than firewire drives. Apple does not recommend firewire drives for capture. Some people are successful, others are not. You are much better off putting a second drive in your G5 and using that for media.

If you are using a firewire drive, you would do much better by purchasing a card for your G5 which has a firewire port and plugging your drive into that firewire port and your DSR11 into the computer. A card which handles both FW400 and FW800 runs about $80. I have seen FW400 cards as low as $30. Check www.wiebetech.com or www.fwdepot.com

Ned Soltz
    2-pop Guide