Thread: Graphics card and memory

Default Graphics card and memory

Hi there.

I have a Mac with:

Processor: 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Memory: 6 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

I just installed Lion and need to upgrade my graphics card for FCP X.

Question is, what graphic card (of the ones that Apple recommends) do YOU ALL recommend?

Also, do I really need more memory than 6 GB, or will that do?

Thanks!

More RAM will help, definitely. I've had many students and clients report great speed and stability boosts when increasing RAM. iMac or MBP increase to max. MP get at least 16 GB if you can.

Heres the card lst-
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664

You can only upgrade MP GPUs. Go with the ATI Radeon HD 5870. It's the top end Apple sells with a MP.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

I just upgraded a 2006 2 x 2.66 ghz dual core intel xeon with an ATI Radeon HD 5770. Even though Apple does not recommend this card for this earlier model 1.1 machine, installation was easy and the card works great. It allowed me to upload the trial version of FCP X. And so far, it too has run flawlessly. Also, since the original mac boot drive was so small, I upgraded that also using the freeware app Carbon Copy Cloner. The app made an an exact copy of my boot drive with all its apps. I then shut down computer swapped out the drives and everything came back just like it was except I have oodles of room now on the boot drive. BTW since Carbon Copy Cloner worked so well, I did send a $20 voluntary payment.
    Carl Ward
    Twelve Palms Productions
    twelvepalmsproductions.com
    Destin, FL 32541