Thread: help with editing both HD and SD footage in Final Cut Xpress HD....

New User

Default help with editing both HD and SD footage in Final Cut Xpress HD....

Hi,
    I just shot an event using both my new camera a t3i (shooting 1080 video) and my old gl1 shooting SD. Now need to edit. I converted the SD footage in MPEG Streamclip to DV in i believe 720. Now i want to bring that into final cut with t3i footage but what setting should fce be in. should i use DV NTSC settings? any help much appreciated.
    -kris

You should not need to convert the GL-1 footage to anything. FCE should capture it as NTSC-DV to start with. Ingest the Canon footage with Log & Capture, be sure to install the Canon L&C plugin. Just drop the HD footage into an SD Sequence along with the GL-1 footage. Done.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

New User

Default do i need to transcode my HD Footage to work in Final Cut Express sd project?

Quote Originally Posted by BenB View Post
    You should not need to convert the GL-1 footage to anything. FCE should capture it as NTSC-DV to start with. Ingest the Canon footage with Log & Capture, be sure to install the Canon L&C plugin. Just drop the HD footage into an SD Sequence along with the GL-1 footage. Done.
    Ben,
    First of all, thanks so much for helping me out. I did as you said and captured the Gl1 footage into project. So i started editing with the newly captured gl 1 footage and my canon t3i footage. i noticed whenever i edited a t3i clip it would add a new sequence. I also realized that i never transcoded the t3i footage (which is HD) and i shot at 24 fps with it, rather i just imported them and they were .mov files. Do i need to put the clips in Mpeg streamclip and convert footage b4 importing into final cut express? If so which codec and settings should i use to get the best footage for dvd?
    thanks so much in advance for all the help.

-kris

Canon makes a plugin you can install for Final Cut's "Log & Capture" function, which reads your flash card and ingests the Canon H.264 clips as ProRes LT (the recommended setting). Don't know what you mean that the T3i clips add a new Sequence. That doesn't make sense. Can you explain that better? You can create an NTSC-DV Sequence, and put both GL-1 and T3i footage into it together.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College