Thread: low audio fix

Enthusiast

Default low audio fix

Howdy folks, I shot an educational video in HD. The audio sounded OK on the headphones when recording but after importing to FCP7 audio is low. I pumped it up on the time-line and still too low. Can this be fixed using Soundtrack Pro?

Also a low hum is heard (refrigerator in next room). Simple way to minimize that?

Thanks dan

What's too low, as measured in db? You can take it into STP and try "normalize." There is a HUM filter "Power Line Hum" going from the analyze tab for starters.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Enthusiast

Thanks , I'll give STP a shot. Yes the DB's are too low. I had the attenuator on as advised by Canon using a Sennheizer ME-64, not that far from the subject, same problem w/other camera operators using ME66 and lavs w/the attenuator on-XLR handle on an XA-10...audio meter on camera was OK but recorded very low audio now trying to salvage good interviews. THX Dan

Turn off the attenuator on ANY camera when you record audio.
    Never rely on headphones for "level", rely on a visual audio meter in the camera.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Enthusiast

Thanks...Ben...so I've been experimenting w/Soundtrack Pro and I've managed to lift the audio but getting white-noise...need to hand it over to a 'Pro'.

Also, need advice on logging... very low audio on many clips I want to use... and I can't here people speaking. I've managed to boost the audio just by using a FCP-filter-(gain) but if I use too much gain I get this whooshing sound...but at least I can hear the voice to log.

Question: I'm viewing the clips from the browser (making notes)...is there a way to boost the audio on specific clips from the browser?...I'm having to put low-aidio clips on the time-line then boost audio to log. Many, many low audio clips. I was hoping for some work-around less time consuming.

RE: low audio clips...once I boost the voice the music is too high...(student/teacher a violin class or Conductor/orchestra-rehearsing-so, music then talking, then back to music etc. Assuming once I cut a sequence and boost the overall-audio so talking voice can be heard...do I then go back to the time-line and specific clips and set audio key-frames to bring down music? This back and forth taking then music can be a few seconds apart...

Thanks Dan

When you open a clip from the Browser into the Viewer, you can go to the Audio tab and raise the volume, or add the gain filter right there. No need to go to the Timeline. You'll just jump back and forth from the Audio to the Video tabs.

The "whoosh" you're hearing is the background noise that exists on virtually all audio recordings. When audio is recorded properly, the levels of the voices are far above the background noise, and it's normally not an issue. You recorded the voices and instruments way, way too low. They are down around the same level as the background noise. This is bad.

The closer the background or room noise level is to the voice/instrument level, the more difficult it is to separate them and "repair" the audio. Remember that it is called "Noise Reduction", not "Noise Removal", for a very good reason. It's difficult to get that background noise out to begin with, much less when everything is at the same level.

If the noise (whoosh sound) is louder than the voices/instruments, you may be screwed, sorry to say.

AS for your last question, if the music and voice are on different tracks/clips, you can use real time live keyframing with FCP 7's mixer. Windows > Arrange > Audio Mixing, or something like that. Very top right of the mixer window is a keyframe diamond. If it's green it's activated, and when you playback your Sequence, adjusting the volume levels will set keyframes on the fly. Word of warning about this, in the Preferences, there's a place to set audio keyframes to either Peak, Reduced, Full, or some wording like that. You want the middle selection, Reduced or whatever it's called.
    Last edited by BenB; 04-09-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College