Thread: Breaking down the 99-slide limit in DVD-SP slideshow

Enthusiast

Default Breaking down the 99-slide limit in DVD-SP slideshow

For work, I'm designing a hand-out DVD that will include a short video and a slideshow. The collection of photos I was given numbers about 131. As you probably know, DVD-SP limits slideshows to 99 images.

The help docs indicate two potential ways to get around that limitation:

1. Make the slideshow into a movie in FCP or another video program and import it into a DVD Studio Pro track. "You can even add markers and force manual pauses so that the viewer can still control the pace of the slideshow playback."

2. "Another way to get around the 99–still image limit is to manually create a slideshow in the Track Editor."

Yeah, OK, I also found that I could convert a slideshow (with forced manual slide advance) from a slideshow to a video track. This was kind of nice because it kept the pause info in the form of markers on the timeline. However, taking my two slideshows and making them into tracks only gave me two tracks of pictures with stopping chapters. I can't merge them into one slideshow, AFAIK.

Also, I'm certainly able to create a new track and dump all 131 photos onto it, but can't figure out how to add the necessary pauses between pictures to allow it to be a user-advanced slideshow.

Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 4.45.24 PM.png
    What kind of chapter markers are these?
    How can I quickly add 131 of them
    if I build a new track with all my photos on it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Videot View Post
    For work, I'm designing a hand-out DVD that will include a short video and a slideshow. The collection of photos I was given numbers about 131. As you probably know, DVD-SP limits slideshows to 99 images.

The help docs indicate two potential ways to get around that limitation:

1. Make the slideshow into a movie in FCP or another video program and import it into a DVD Studio Pro track. "You can even add markers and force manual pauses so that the viewer can still control the pace of the slideshow playback."

2. "Another way to get around the 99–still image limit is to manually create a slideshow in the Track Editor."

Yeah, OK, I also found that I could convert a slideshow (with forced manual slide advance) from a slideshow to a video track. This was kind of nice because it kept the pause info in the form of markers on the timeline. However, taking my two slideshows and making them into tracks only gave me two tracks of pictures with stopping chapters. I can't merge them into one slideshow, AFAIK.

Also, I'm certainly able to create a new track and dump all 131 photos onto it, but can't figure out how to add the necessary pauses between pictures to allow it to be a user-advanced slideshow.

Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 4.45.24 PM.png
    What kind of chapter markers are these?
    How can I quickly add 131 of them
    if I build a new track with all my photos on it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    there's an easier way - just create a second slideshow, and link the END JUMP of SS #1 to the beginning of SS #2.
    the only possibly bugaboo would be that you MIGHT not be able to go BACK across the junction from SS1 to SS2.
    But as far as it working going in the forward direction, I've done this a lot, and it works fine.
    Bruce Nazarian, MPSE - "The Digital Guy"
    Apple Certified Trainer, DVDSP4
    Author: "DVD Studio Pro 4 - Complete Guide..."
    Webmaster: www.TheDigitalGuy.com | www.idmadvda.org
    Need authoring help? Ask me about The Digital Guy Connection service

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TheDigitalGuy View Post
    there's an easier way - just create a second slideshow, and link the END JUMP of SS #1 to the beginning of SS #2.
    Hmm... I did try that initially but didn't like the result. I found I had to tap a few times on the last picture of SS1 to advance to SS2. That said, I may have been doing it with slideshows-converted-to-timelines. I'm loading the project up now to test this (I came to work today and noticed a power outage overnight had shut me down).

I'll try that with actual slideshows and see how it comes out - thanks!

- Mike

Enthusiast

I tried it, using actual slideshows this time instead of slideshows converted to timelines. As expected, it seems to require a different key to advance slide-to-slide and to jump to the next slideshow. I can't expect users to know this; I would figure they'd get to the last slide in SS1 and, when hitting Chapter Skip Forward doesn't work anymore, they won't try Track Skip Forward out of curiosity... although that's the only way to advance to SS2. I'm not even sure what button "Track Skip Foward" is on a real remote - that's just what I found to work on DVD-SP's Simulator.

I suppose I could be goofy about it and create a "please wait" slide to be the final slide of SS1, set it to NOT pause during playback, and then let it play out and end-jump to SS2 automatically when people get to it. It just seems inelegant. I wanted it to be a seamless, manual-advance slideshow with all 131 images.

- M.

Enthusiast

OK, so my last comment above led me to my solution: rather than a "please wait" slide, I just added a second copy of the last photo in SS1 and did what I said: set it to 1 second, no pause, and now the viewer will appear to get a brief pause as that duplicate photo comes up and then end-jumps to SS2.

Thanks for your help!

- M.

Correct! Glad you found this technique...
    Bruce Nazarian, MPSE - "The Digital Guy"
    Apple Certified Trainer, DVDSP4
    Author: "DVD Studio Pro 4 - Complete Guide..."
    Webmaster: www.TheDigitalGuy.com | www.idmadvda.org
    Need authoring help? Ask me about The Digital Guy Connection service