Thread: How do you convert an NTSC video to PAL?

Default How do you convert an NTSC video to PAL?

I'm having a bit of trouble importing my menu video to DVD studio pro. Whenever I try to I get an error message saying that the video is an NTSC asset and it cannot be used with the DVD studio pro's PAL setting (I've set to PAL because I'm in the UK).

I've tried converting the video in Compressor so that it could be compatible with DVD studio pro but I get the same message again. I don't understand this.

How can I convert the video from NTSC to PAL in Compressor so that it can be imported to DVD studio pro?

Thanks.
    Last edited by HeyAndy; 03-10-2012 at 09:54 AM.

What are the properties of the video? Specifically, pixel dimensions and frame rate. How did you try to convert the video? Also, NTSC video will play on most PAL equipment these days... er, for the past 10 years or so.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Quote Originally Posted by Zwick View Post
    What are the properties of the video? Specifically, pixel dimensions and frame rate. How did you try to convert the video? Also, NTSC video will play on most PAL equipment these days... er, for the past 10 years or so.
    1280 X 720. 24fps.

Apple compressor.
    Last edited by HeyAndy; 03-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.

New User

If your video file is a quicktime (ie .mov) you can change the framerate to 25fps in Cinema Tools and then export a new file at 720x576. This will cause a slight speed up of your footage but will be fine for almost all purposes. FYI 1280x720 at 24 fps is not NTSC, that would be 720x486 (480 for DVD) at 29.97fps.