Thread: Black Magic Intensity Card

Default Black Magic Intensity Card

Hi,

Background: I recently purchased a Black Magic Intensity Card ($199) but only later learned it would not work with Final Cut Express. So, I now have installed FCP 7. I have connected an HDMI cable to the Intensity Card to view my FCP project on an external flatscreen HD TV.

Problem: the video of the FCP canvas window does not "play" on the HD monitor. It only shows the frame that play head stops on. The audio does seem to work, however.

I also notice the color is way way different than that in the FCP canvas window.

I reinstalled the BM driver after installing FCP 7 as per the Black Magic instructions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am on Mac OS 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro tower.

Hi, Rocker-

I don't have an answer for you, but I moved your post into it's own thread. You had tacked it to the end of a really old thread and I wanted to give it the best chance of being seen!

Good luck!

debe

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Problem: the video of the FCP canvas window does not "play" on the HD monitor. It only shows the frame that play head stops on. The audio does seem to work, however.
    Make sure you're set to "play all frames" in the View menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I also notice the color is way way different than that in the FCP canvas window.
    This is actually normal and to be expected. Without going into the technical details, your FCP canvas window will always be wrong. It's not designed to be correct. If you can calibrate the TV, you should only trust that.
    http://www.arniepix.com/
    Post production is not an afterthought!

Default Black Magic output issues

First of all, thanks to debe for setting me straight and starting a new thread for this. I really appreciate it.

Arnie I am set to "play all frames". Could the problem be related to the number of frames per sec?. eg 29. whatever vs. 30 fps? I'll play around with that and see if gave myself a conflict.

Regarding the TV and canvas window looking so different: I should know that after all these years of using firewire "out" to my video camera and then S video or "yellow cable" composite out to the monitor. I guess I was just doubting myself now that I'm in an HD project in FCP and using HDMI to an HD flatscreen, I thought maybe the canvas and the TV would look more similar.

I was parked on a still shot of GW Bush and in the canvas the skin tones were really tanned and sort of golden brown. on the TV he looks pale and sickly. Maybe that's the way he really looked.

Thanks for the help from both of you and if you have anymore thoughts, send over please!

When using the Blackmagic card for video monitoring make sure that your video playback output setting matches that of your timeline, e.g. if you are editing 720p 60, the actually playback for your monitor may be 720p 59.94. Blackmagic offers both 720p 60 and 720p 59.94.
    Carl Ward
    Twelve Palms Productions
    twelvepalmsproductions.com
    Destin, FL 32541