Thread: File error.

Default File error.

When I try to log and capture I get 'File error unknown file.'
    Can anyone help me correct this
    I have loads of space on all capture and start up discs and the setting seem to be set correctly.

I also have the problem when rendering.

Many thanks

Would you like to give us an idea of exactly what you're working with, camera, source material, what Mac, how you're connected, version of FCP, OS X...? Be as descriptive as possible.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

I am using a MacPro duo 2.66GHz
    3 GB 667MHz memory
    1 Tb Startup
    FCP 7.0.3
    My feed is either the Camera a Canon HDV or for DV through a Canopus ADVC 110 both have worked perfectly well in the past on the same set up.
    Both feeds through Firewire again both have worked well in the past.
    I don't know what I have done, but for some reason I can't render files or capture files. When trying to capture I get "File error. unknown file" and when trying to render I get "File Error. Access Denied"
    My total free space is 1.6TB 800 of which is on the startup drive.
    I can however export using QT conversion and get the .mov files saved.
    I have deinstalled and reinstalled with no difference to the problem.
    I hope this info is enough for some kind person to HELP!
    Many thanks

1st, if you feel you're doing everything the same as before and it worked before, I'd trash the FCP prefs.

What setting are you using for Device Control Preset? Have you tried, "Non-Controllable Device" for the ADVC110? 'Not sure why you even need that if working DV, don't you have FW for whatever that device is? Have you tried connecting and starting the device in VTR mode before launching FCP?

Person in charge

The DVCPro deck I have does not have a direct firewire card so I go through the Canopus.

I have previously trashed the prefs but will try again.

I am using the "Non-Controllable Device" with the Canopus and the HDV basic with the Canon camera firewire output.

I will try starting in VTR mode but with the deck I do that anyway.

All I can think of is to start again with a completely clean start up disc and reload everything. This seems a drastic step but there we go.

What I find strange is that you've tried two devices and it's not working the same. Right, there is essentially no difference in the manner in which both devices are not working? I have never had to do a complete re-install and I've been involved in some pretty bleak situations before plus I was an Apple reseller for multiple incarnations in my life so I was dealing with other people's grief. We're talking from the dawn of Macintosh. You've tried the other regular voodoo, trashing permissions and running Disk Warrior? You said you already re-installed FCS, what method did you use to make sure the previous copy was properly de-installed?

Person in charge