Thread: dynamic text import while rendering on the fly

Cool dynamic text import while rendering on the fly

Hi

Unusual question here. Does anyone know of a software or combination of softwares that will allow us to do the following:

Render a 30second movie on a server that imports text content from a txt file ending up with an FLV. We dont want to end up with a swf because it will need to play back on an ipad and iphone.

The process would be that we would have a pre made layered animation with a layer that reads in some text from the file and then renders the compiled movie.

We are programmers more than movie makers so we can cope with open source software and even write some extra code but we dont want to start from the ground up.

Hope some of you have some ideas

Many thanks

Kilo

FLV and F4V file formats are Flash Video, they aren't natively supported on the iPad/phone, you'd need everyone to have a 3rd party app that is questionable as far as quality, I for one wouldn't have it.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Zwick is right. flv is an extension that means flash video. swf meads shockwave flash. Ever since the Steverino from Cupertino decided to block flash on iThings, with his extremely funny "Flash bad, H.264 good" campaign, people are still confused, as they well should be. If he had made that analogy in the world of still images, I like to think that more people would have laughed, "Photoshop bad, use JPEG instead!", but probably not. That mock turtle-neck reality distortion field was, and still is mighty powerful.

The answer to your original question, is pretty much the same answer for most DV related questions these days, "Why of course, you can! it's a very simple matter in Adobe CS5 & later versions. You'll want to output it through the new Adobe Media Encoder, using the H.264 codec to produce an MP4 that will play on all platforms, even the iThings!

You know I hate Flash. Flash killed Steve Jobs...

Quote Originally Posted by mmckee58 View Post
    Zwick is right. flv is an extension that means flash video. swf meads shockwave flash. Ever since the Steverino from Cupertino decided to block flash on iThings, with his extremely funny "Flash bad, H.264 good" campaign, people are still confused, as they well should be. If he had made that analogy in the world of still images, I like to think that more people would have laughed, "Photoshop bad, use JPEG instead!", but probably not. That mock turtle-neck reality distortion field was, and still is mighty powerful.

The answer to your original question, is pretty much the same answer for most DV related questions these days, "Why of course, you can! it's a very simple matter in Adobe CS5 & later versions. You'll want to output it through the new Adobe Media Encoder, using the H.264 codec to produce an MP4 that will play on all platforms, even the iThings!

You know I hate Flash. Flash killed Steve Jobs...
    hehe

But back to the other part of the question, how to automatically (and presumably on demand) update an animation with text pulled from whatever source you want.

It surely can be done, I've seen customized video greeting cards with 'on demand' text that can be quickly and easily changed. The question is, how do they do it? I'd bet they use some sort of overlay, like a watermark over a video player. But maybe there are other possible solutions? Any ideas?

They are using server software called FFMPG which can mix text or image into video file. FFMPG is controlled by php so it can read txt files. This is very powerfull tool.