Thread: 1. Basic still animation? 2. Video within IMAGE of text effect?

New User

Default 1. Basic still animation? 2. Video within IMAGE of text effect?

Me: Newbie FCP / FCP X user.
    Issue: Can't find straight up tutorials or instructions for the following:

1. Basic animation: As my still montage pans from one end to the other, I want some parts of the montage to change - ie there is a face image i want to fade into another face and another, as the whole thing moves from right to left. The only way I can think of to do this is to duplicate the whole montage and pan functions, with the duplicate montage having the changed element (ie changed face image) and then somehow using a faded transition effect. Is there an easier way to do this?

ie: this is *exactly* the effect I want to achieve: see 1'14 onward >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Un-G0yNf0

remember to skip to 1'14.

2. How to use text *images* with video? I know how to create video effects within text. However, what about doing the same thing with an *image* ? ie, I have my title text - it's a non-standard font, on an angle, which I have created in photoshop. How do I use a text *image* to lay over my video (with the same properties as actual text, ie only the actual text is visible, not the background upon which it is sitting), and how do i superimpose video within the body and thickness of the actual text...? I've looked up tonnes of masking tutorials but they are all extremely clunky ways of only vaguely masking out things with set shapes, which isn't useful for me at all.

this shows the basic effect, but only using actual text. How do i do this using an *image* of text...? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCylu9dQJk

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ben

Motion would be better suited for this, as you could matte and line up all of your video, and pan a camera across it.

The background showing through an image is done exactly the same as it is with text. All you need is the image to be black and white.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

New User

Quote Originally Posted by BenB View Post
    Motion would be better suited for this, as you could matte and line up all of your video, and pan a camera across
    Thanks. I'd prefer to learn to do this with FCPX but am open to suggestions.
    I have had a look for specific tutorial vids but all I can find are various ways of using Motion's many animated title sequence presets etc... (off-putting actually, I've no interest in that) Can you point me to an instructional video that explains how to do what I want..? Or suggest some search terms which might turn up more useful results..?
    Last edited by tj7; 02-24-2012 at 07:34 PM.

New User

worked it out. time consuming but it looks fine:
    i just duplicated my image montage a couple times (different versions) and used the compositing tool to set various transition fades in and out. there must be a more efficient way, but i managed it at least.

The "more efficient way" is to use a motion graphics application or a compositing app, not a NLE.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

If you want to do heavy compositing, you need to learn a compositing app.

A pocket knife is great for carving a duck out of a block of wood, but to build a house, that pocket knife is going to take a LOT of time and effort and it won't be very good.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College