Thread: How to light Laundromat?

Default How to light Laundromat?

Hello,

Young student soon to shoot a short film which takes place mostly at a laundromat, at night. Shooting on Sony F3.
    Not too sure how to create an; unsettling, tense, cold, bare, dark - mood for this picture. The space is big and has one large window.

One of my concerns is that flickering green hue that the florescent bulbs produce.

Wondering perhaps if it's a good idea to leave the florescent-tubes as they are( with the green-hue ), apply a "greenish" make-up on the subject's face and then in Post, take-away all the Green ( - ) out. Ive been told that that would "normalize" and balance out the colors.
    Wondering if anyone could tell me if that is true and is good approach...?

Also thinking to minimize some of the bulbs being turned "on" the ceiling (or have just one light flicker), to create that tension, anxiety in the atmosphere.

Any suggestions would be helpful and highly appreciated!

Thank you

Simona

Depending on your budget, I'd use the lights that are already in there and fix everything in post. Colourista by red giant software is excellent. Ensure you get a shot of your white board though for sampling in post. You could also replace all the bulbs in there with colour correct film florescent tubes but that could be costly.

Charles Meadows - DOP - Incubate Productions
    www.incubatevideo.co.za