Thread: Fix Suggestion?

Enthusiast

Default Fix Suggestion?

I have a Sony DCR-TRV11 and the on switch has three positions.

1-Is On for recording
    2-Is for taking still pictures
    3-VCR mode for when you are dumping footage to the computer or outputting back to the camera.

The switch works perfect for the taking pictures mode, (which I have no need for) and on the VCR mode, but not for the Recording option.

It use to start working with some pressure applied to the top right side but that doesn't work any more.

Since its just one position that isn't working I assume that its an easy fix, but not sure what I should do and before I pull it apart I was hoping for some guidance.

Any suggestions?

I know its an older camera but between money and the fact that if it turns on properly I would be fine, I don't want to just toss it.

Thanks

I have that same switch but on a TRV19 (this is in my museum ) however I think you've got the still picture thing wrong. Stills are taken with the button above this switch on top of the camera.

Anyway... it's a rotary switch and it looks like you can get to it once you remove the right hand panel or perhaps see what's up by 1st trying to remove the panel under the battery. Basically without a service manual ya gotta start by unscrewing stuff. Keep track of which screws go where too because while from the head of the screw they all look the same they are probably different lengths in more than one position.

Does the switch still click at all 3 stops or or is it just sort of floating? Rebuilding a broken switch like that is probably a PITA. You might be able to re-engage the contact by simply putting a spot of solder on the contact or pull the contact back into play with some tweezers but to do that my guess is you have to be able to take apart the switch. If it's an "easy fix" you're not going to know until you open up the camera and to be honest that camera is basically worthless at this point so if you think it's worth it my advice is dive in.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Enthusiast

Default Switch

It stops in each position. Everything is just fine and does as it should, but allow me to record. The LCD is black and nothing comes on, just like it's turned off.

What I meant by it taking pictures is that you have to be in that position for it to take a picture but yes you have a different button to click to take it.

What is PITA?

There seems to be a few layers to remove before the switch can be accessed so I wanted to make sure I had a fighting chance or fixing it before I started tearing it down because it still does VCR mode.

I would just go at if it was something I cared to do. Honestly the camera has seen it's day a long time ago. You can buy point and shoot cameras that shoot better video than that Sony.
    PITA, Google it.
    Last edited by Zwick; 02-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net