Thread: Motion 5. General Weirdness--HELP!

Default Motion 5. General Weirdness--HELP!

I consider myself reasonably adept at Motion, however I've done little with Motion 5 specifically. I'm working on what should be a very simple 2D exercise in changing the positions of simple shapes (just 5 circles) and animating them, think like a game of tennis doubles. 1st the record button wasn't behaving so I switched to adding keyframes under the Inspector > Properties > Transform GUI. At first that seemed to work fine, then bananas.

Think, player 1-team 1 hits the ball, the ball moves cross court to player 2 who is moving in towards the ball, meanwhile player 2-team one is moving back court in anticipation of the next shot. So imagine 3 object move in one shot. I set the timeline out 90 frames for the ball position, hit the position keyframe and move the ball. Then move a player for this keyframe also, great... Until I get maybe one or two additional keyframes and then all of a sudden stuff which wasn't moved is moving or the bezier adds a curve to the trajectory or some other nonsense. I'd switch to Motion 3 but I didn't start this project and it was started in 4 (I have 3 and 5.)

Any ideas?

Also, selecting an object with the cursor on the screen is totally hit and miss, often it ends up selecting the background object (I'm dead on center) or nothing!

Did Apple hose Motion 5 and I'm just finding out? Seriously, while not a daily routine, I've done this stuff many times before. I'm going to rebuild a project one element at a time from the templates I have but sheesh...

EDIT: I'm up to date on Motion 5, OS 10.7.2, 2.7 GHz iMac with 8 GB RAM. Ran the project off the internal 1TB (750 GB free) and an external FW 800, 2TB (960GB free), The project is HDV (1440x1080, 1.33--I inherited this), 29.97. Again there is no video, only circle shapes keyframed on a tennis court overhead shot graphic. Also, it doesn't seem to matter is the motion is set to Bezier or Linear, both exhibit bad behaviors. The earlier work was done Bezier and works fine but the shots have less elements. In fact only one group, two objects are keyframed.
    Last edited by Zwick; 01-26-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

I've been doing tons of complex stuff in Motion 5 and haven't seen this. But I will sit down and try to duplicate what you're describing.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Thanks! Think of a doubles game in tennis, that's what it is. So four players all circles and a smaller circle for a ball. The thing is I get something to work and then I and then on a return volley all of a sudden something on the 1st keyframe motion moves apparently independent of what I did after. In other words an object's keyframe changes but I didn't touch it.

Person in charge

Keyframes are stable for me, can duplicate it. But, I do know you have to be very careful. Set the keyframe first, then adjust a parameter. If you change a parmater first, then set the keyframe, weirdness happens.

You wouldn't happen to be deleting keyframes, too, eh?

Any chance you can zip that .motn file and let me have a look at it?

BTW, sneak peak at a new Motion tutorial I have coming out soon.
    http://www.bbalser.com/video/Swinging_Demo.mov
    Last edited by BenB; 01-27-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

No, a little late but I reworked some of this in AE CS5, much better for doing even a modest amount of keyframe animation. It should have been started in AE but as mentioned I inherited the project and didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel.

Motion is good for a few things... Titling (although I've never need to to really extensive feature-like titles and have seen it bogging down on some work I have done which was modest), some of the behaviors stuff, a lot of the particle effects (I have often animated particle effects in Motion to use in AE or elsewhere), other built-ins like the replicators, etc. I think Motion is a great program and a bargain at $50 but it has a lot of quirks. One thing I was running into was a ridiculous amount of tangent editing on Bezier transform adjustments (because they do what they want to) in the keyframe editor which I find pretty awful. For what this was I did not want to be doing that. Seriously, the number of bad, quirky little PITA problems I was dealing with were ridiculous.

The other thing is it's absurdly slow. I'm still going to do a postmortem test on Motion 3 and my G5 but I already did a quickie and confirm with other Motion artists out there that Motion 5 is even slower than previous versions, 64-bit or not.

Anyway, thanks for looking into this.

(HA, Motion's open behind this with the SPOD spinning away in a virtually empty project--looks like I'll have to force quit.)

Person in charge

Default Motion 5.0.2 update

I have run into additional quirks in Motion 5 which have had me repeatedly visiting the autosave vault. I was going to do a summery and it still might come later. What I wanted to mention was the Motion 5.0.2 update which I'm about to download bullet-pointing almost everything I was running into...

• Improved speed and responsiveness of text editing
    • Ability to automatically add animation keyframes when recording is disabled
    • Keyboard shortcut for re-positioning animation curves or paths
    • Ability to adjust the pan and scale of an image in a drop zone
    • Enhanced look of the Keyframe editor for easier keyframe viewing and editing
    Last edited by Zwick; 02-01-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Person in charge