Thread: Where's audio in MPEG2?

Default Where's audio in MPEG2?

I'm converting a standard def DV quicktime edit to mpeg 2 (that's what was asked of me) but there's no audio in the finished file. Any ideas why? Also did this in Adobe Media Encoder and no audio either.

Because the encoding software is demultiplexing the file, setting you up for separate video and audio files, ala a DVD. You would need to create a multiplexed MPEG-2 file if you want video and audio together.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

In Compressor 4, use MPEG Files (folder) > one of the MPEG-2 program or transport streams. Adobe Media Encoder you choose MPEG2 (not the MPEG-2 DVD option) and check the appropriate preset in the pull down menu.
    Last edited by Zwick; 01-04-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Person in charge

Zwick great, since your close maybe you can give me a new answer.
    I need to upload an old edited piece to a web site. The site says formats for video can be - FLA, FLV, WMV or mpeg. No MP4 (go figure). I don't want to use Flash or windows media so mpeg is it. Do you know what Apple's Compressor can do for me? It doesn't do mpeg1 so mpeg2 was my only choice. Adobe Media Encoder doesn't give me an mpeg1 choice either.

"Help me Obi Wan Kanobi, your my only hope".

Sorry, that just popped in my head.

Compressor does in fact do MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. In the Presets pane, at the top is a search field. Type in MPEG. You'll see a good sized list of MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 presets, with good descriptions of each. And once applied you can always tweak to taste.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Since that was the answer I'll give you my smart ass commentary, which I happen to think is spot on... I'd suggest you suggest the encode go up as whatever you've got now, without getting stepped on, to YouTube. Create an account for the client if need be. Then you not only get something that is going to play back for just about everyone but you also have the luxury of using the embed tag anywhere else deemed appropriate in the future and you can make it public or private, whatever floats their boat. Also, it's going to look nicer than that tired old MPEG-1 package.

Person in charge