Thread: Recent Grad, Advice Needed!

Default Recent Grad, Advice Needed!

I have been looking for months for a job...no luck. All the opportunities I am receiving are internships...should I take another internship and hope to get in that way?

It would be helpful to know where you are located & what you do/what type of production or post production work that you are interested in pursuing.

That being said, you are in the most unfortunate era for getting that first job. It is hard to get jobs these days. My stepson graduated two years ago. After a false start doing something he wasn't certain he wanted to do, and few prospects after leaving that job, he made a huge life decision. He just joined the Army and will be learning Broadcast Engineering.

I'm not advocating that the military is the solution for everyone. It's the creative thinking aspect. He wasn't getting traction and was feeling lost and uncertain, so he found something that worked for him.

I graduated in what was then called "the worst job market since the Depression" (although I truly understand that now it has to be called the "second-worst") I worked three restaurant/banquet server jobs my first year out of college while pursuing several temporary & freelance opportunities after my internship. I didn't get my first "real job" until a year after I graduated. I think that I had 5 W2 forms and 4 1099s that year. At the time that seemed absoultely ridiculous. (As a freelancer/small business owner, I now get a significantly larger number of 1099s every year.)

If internships are all that are out there right now, and you can afford the time between your job(s) that keep you afloat, then be choosy and pick the one that propels you forward in the area you are interested in. And then impress the heck out of those people. Be the soluion to their problems.

You're not alone. It's hard, but don't let it get to you. It does NOT reflect your skills or your worth. The market is tight. You need to get creative!!

Don't know if any of this helps...but I hope it does!

debe