Thread: What's up with memory card camcorders?

New User

Default What's up with memory card camcorders?

When I graduated from college with a major in broadcasting, I used prosumer camcorders like Canon GL2, XL2; Sony PD170, and FX7, etc.

I have not been involved with video production at all during the last 8 years.

With that said, a friend was telling me to invest in a memory card camcorder.

I don't know a thing about them.

I plan on getting back into production work, but technology has changed sooo much within the last 10 years, I want to get the right equipment.

Just to let you know, I plan on using a new camcorder first on really small projects at work (an elementary school), then on church projects (concerts).

SO to ANYONE, what can you tell me about these memory card camcorders: how's the audio, how do you download for editing in FCP, how's the zoom, etc?
    Last edited by John316; 12-03-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Learn to listen, so you can listen and learn.

Most all cameras to day are 1- HD, and 2- Tapeless.

DSLR's are now very popular due to cost vs the great visual qualities you get from them. Research the Canon 7D and 5DmkII for starters. And since you're adding lenses, rig elements, etc, as you grow, you don't have to get a full blow film rig right away.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Hi John

Ben's right about DSLRs being very popular right now. However if you're used to a standard camcorder you'll have to get used to lenses without motorized zoom controls, lack of XLR audio inputs and need to have several lenses. They do have a great film look, due to shallow depth of field plus 24 frame recording.

But for me, I use the Panasonic AG-HMC40, as it works like a traditional camcorder, shoots 1080/720 24p HD, etc. There are many nice camcorders at all price levels, but they all share in common motor zoom, autofocus, etc that you're used to. DSLRs require a host of extras, so you could actually spend more by the time you get done.

I think it depends on the look you want and how you like your gear.

Cool A couple of camcorders to consider

In the 3,000 - 4,000 range, I like the Panasonic AG-AC130 it shoots in both SD and HD and has firewire and USB 2.0 outputs. The JVC GY-HM150 is a nice choice if you need a very compact camcorder that outputs to dual sd cards.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by DrVideo View Post
    In the 3,000 - 4,000 range, I like the Panasonic AG-AC130 it shoots in both SD and HD and has firewire and USB 2.0 outputs. The JVC GY-HM150 is a nice choice if you need a very compact camcorder that outputs to dual sd cards.
    OOHHH yeahh! Just looked up the Panasonic AG AC130 specs.... very niiicccee.

But I don't want to get ahead of myself. I have a budget for about $1000 for a camcorder. I want to start filming projects right away, then as I save up more... then perhaps something like the Panasonic.

So for about $1000 what good out there in terms of camcorders??
    Learn to listen, so you can listen and learn.

Enthusiast

John,
    Usually the forums are so helpful but it seems there is a deafening silence if you ask for camera info below a grand.

I see its been months since anyone replied, and I posted about a sub -1000 camera just for some feedback and heard nothing.

I wish I could help but I am in the same boat, the Panasonics look good but that is on paper can't get any real feedback about it.

Enthusiast

here is my post

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com...g-up-questions

similar to yours as things have changed a lot in the past few years and as what I call a serious hobbiest dropping 2 grand isn't an option. Dropping a grand is something I question as I don't make any money from it but I like the control of the better cameras.

But I am use to tape and like tape but that isn't want is in vogue these days.

And when I use to import it was straight forward and now it seems there is an intermediary step to make sure the footage isn't so large that it chocks the system. There is compressed formats galore, and perhaps you and I need a different forum?

What did you end up buying? Where you happy with it? Any insight to suggestions you might want to share?

Thanks