Thread: on't play on DVD player / Plays fine on Computer!?

Default on't play on DVD player / Plays fine on Computer!?

When I burn a DVD it plays fine on my laptop but won't play in my DVD player. I'm burning with Verbatim single layer... I'm sending them to festivals so this is really aggravating! Any ideas? I've tried Dual layer with the same results sometimes they play sometimes not...

Not all set top DVD players will play a burned DVD but more important, you're not providing any information. How did you author the DVD, what was the data rate, how long is your DVD how was the audio encoded?
    Last edited by Zwick; 11-16-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Default DVD auth

Here's the info thank you for answering

DVD studio pro 4
    Mpeg-2 5.0 Mpbs 2-pass
    Bit rate 4
    max bit rate 7
    SD Single layer / Dual layer

What about the audio?

Person in charge

Default DVD auth

One project is the sound was exported as .aif and is a PCM and is a dual layer project

Then I have a project that is a wave and is quicktime audio and is a single layer project

AIFF is often too much bandwidth for set top units. You should be using Compressor for this and you should use Dolby Digital AC3. SD DVD is only going to support AC3 or AIFF. QuickTime audio doesn't mean anything, QT is not a CODEC.

EDIT: The other question you didn't answer was how long is your video?
    Last edited by Zwick; 11-16-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Person in charge

Default DVD auth

In the past I have used compression with the same results. I use .aiff now for better quality of sound mainly so its stereo and not mono.

OK and who told you AC3 (Dolby Digital) was mono? I don't want to get into an argument here but I am going to have to argue a couple of points. First, your post is regarding DVDs not playing on certain home players. I'm telling you AIFF is carrying too much bandwidth. You're about 1200 kbps higher than you need to be and you're choking the playback device. You put 100 people in a room I defy you to find more than a couple who can qualify the difference listening to 320 kbps AC3 (190 kbps for that matter) audio vs. a 1511 kbps AIFF. Take those same 100 people and probably every single one of them can tell the difference between a DVD that plays and one that doesn't.

Person in charge

Default Dvd

I understand you point but when I played the original compressed DVD in a theater yes it played but it was mono. So I thought by exporting aiff files would solve the problem. In addition the reason I played the original compressed DVD in a theater in the first place is because it wouldn't play on multiple home systems....

For Tom - a few general issues:

You haven't yet said what the running time is for your disc-
    DVD can easily carry up to 2 hours (120 mins) of SD video program as MPEG2.

While Zwick is correct in his cautioning that AIFF (PCM, actually) carries a mich higher playback bandwidth than Dolby Digital (AC3), your encode rate of between 4-7 Mbps wouldn't seem to be a huge problem, since PCM audio only adds 1.6 Mbps to the playback requirement, and ad long as your ENCODEr hasn't thrown a spike in excess of 8 Mbps, you should be within the maximum DVD playback data rate (nominally 9.8 Mbps TOTAL vid + aud)

Zwick - FYI - Dolby Digital can have any track configuration from mono (1/0) through 5.1 surround (3/2). And is a two-cannel program was mistakenly exported with identical audio in both channels, even if it is encoded as 2/0 (Stereo) it will STILL sound mono!

Both AIFF and WAV are (essentially) PCM audio formats, which DVDSP can author/mux correctly.
    Bruce Nazarian, MPSE - "The Digital Guy"
    Apple Certified Trainer, DVDSP4
    Author: "DVD Studio Pro 4 - Complete Guide..."
    Webmaster: www.TheDigitalGuy.com | www.idmadvda.org
    Need authoring help? Ask me about The Digital Guy Connection service