Thread: working with 12 bit and 16 bit audio in same project???

New User

Default working with 12 bit and 16 bit audio in same project???

I have accidently captured my audio in 12 bit on a few clips and want to use them in final output. Does anybody know if this will cause me problems for final output? i am editing in Final Cut Express 4.
    thanks for any info.
    -kris

Biggest problem is probably sample rates, 12-bit likely being 32KHz while 16 is at 48KHz. If you're outputting to DVD, that's 48KHz. I'm guessing I'd re-sample the 12-bit to 48KHz but if I've had to do this I don't remember the outcome in mixing the two. You could have sync issues. Try it.
    Last edited by Zwick; 11-14-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

It will probably create problems for you to mix sample rates in the same project. I would playback the 12 bit audio as a line in to the computer and re-record it on the hard drive at the 16 bit resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CMRA View Post
    It will probably create problems for you to mix sample rates in the same project. I would playback the 12 bit audio as a line in to the computer and re-record it on the hard drive at the 16 bit resolution.
    I don't know why you would want to do that, even in QT Pro you can transcode an AIFF to 16-bit and set the rate at 48 KHz, just watch for sync issues.
    Last edited by Zwick; 11-15-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

New User
    Waikanae Beach, Kapiti Coast, New Zealand

I would use a program ( for instance Sound Forge) to convert the low bit rate and sample rate files to the same standard as the other files. It is quick and easy to do in Sound Forge. IF you don't have that software, look in any software you do have to see if that option is available. Alternatively, there is a free downloadable program called R8brain that should be able to do this.