Thread: Doesn't recognize my videos?

Default Doesn't recognize my videos?

So recently got a really good deal on a nice little hd camera, but im having issues working with the saved files in, garage band, soundtrack pro, adobe audition, etc. Simply put the vid just blackscreen with no audio, and then i get a notice that the format is not supported(video formats by usually avi by default btw), or something about a piece of codec missing.

The camera is a Insignia NS-DV720PBL2 model btw. Is there some kind of conversion method or something else entirely im missing here that i need to edit my vids?

AVI is a container and that container can use any one of a multitude of CODECS. Your instruction manual for the camera references converting the AVI to a MOV, which is also a container. Basically, you need to convert the camera's files to something friendly with the software you're trying to use. Unfortunately, the software that came with the camera is Windows only so you may need to find a PC to use.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

and please don't make duplicate posts in these forums, thank you.

Person in charge

So i basically bought a windows only cam? Thats great cuz one i don't own a computer yet, and the only computers that have editing software are macs at my school.

Still though why would be having the same issues with videos from my 5th generation ipod then? Can you recoomend what file types the videos should be converted to and possibly something to convert them with? Free preferably if i can't find anything useful on the school computers?

The stuff on the iPod should be H.264 video CODEC and AAC audio. That should not be problem to view on a Mac. There is no reason it shouldn't open in QuickTime and therefore no reason it shouldn't open in something like STP. If you have Macs in your school with Final Cut Studio installed and it seems as though you do, you should have Compressor and could, if need be, transcode to an editing format like ProRes with that. The problem with your camera appears to be it's wrapping something up in an AVI container and that CODEC is missing from the Mac. For other freebie transcoding try MPEG Streamclip (Google it.) You might want to find another student or teacher who can assist with some of the basics there.

Person in charge

Thanks this actually helping out quite alot . What should I specifically look for in a camera if i want it to be Mac friendly and said videos easily edited?

It should probably cost more than $49. That's a good start. Honestly, most cameras are going to work fine with a Mac. Stay away from cheap little cameras, which shoot proprietary CODECS in an AVI container and are made by a company nobody has ever heard of. It's a loaded question really. For something small to pull out of my pocket I have a little Panasonic point and shoot 12 MP camera that shoots decent 720p video using a JPEG format. I transcode to ProRes. That camera was about $129. Is it great quality video, no. Is it inexpensive, fun and convenient, yes. For 1080p, I use a Canon T3i. This because I wanted a nice still camera too. But there are a lot of cameras out there, you need to start with how much you want to spend and then think about how much you want to get out of it and find out where you'll have to make compromises between the two.

Person in charge

Thats kinda what i found today to. I was speaking with best buy today, and the best they told me they could was to have geek squad take a look at the camera and possibly fix, but other than that it was just bad investment on my part especially seeing as how the camera came with 1pg manual. Im in college course currently, so next semester i'll investing in a mac laptop, some video editing software, and hopefully a new camera if i have anything left over.

Also tried the mpeg streamclip, and got no result. Basic i did it like this: opened the program, went to file, open video, opened camcorder video, went under file again, and tried a few options like convert to mpeg4 or convert to quicktime file, and just got the same blackscreen as usual. Did i do this right, or is just no hope for my camera and it's video files?