Thread: portable lighting kit

Enthusiast

Default portable lighting kit

Hi folks, I'm going to be run n' gun shooting alone. Traveling in my car. I have a tota light-kit...can't fit it in the car securely.

Possible Suggestions: for very compact inexpensive light(s.) I have two Manfrotto portable light stands and a lite-pannel camera light which I will mount on a stand...only need to throw light on faces during interviews.

thx dan

New User

What is your budget? What kind of case are you using with your Tota kit? You may just need a different case that will fit in your car. Look at Kata, Portabrace, Calumet, Lowel, etc for some case ideas. Check out your local camera shop and see what they have. It would be a lot cheaper to buy a good case that will fit in your car, than a whole new light kit.

What kinds of lights, how many, and what kinds of modifiers (Chimera, umbrellas, etc) do you already have in your kit?

Bogen makes good light stands (but wretched tripods). I have some that are smaller than the awful Lowel stands that usually come with their lights.

When I worked in local news I had a tripod bag with two 250W Lowel Pro lights and three stands in it that I could throw over my shoulder. I usually used just one with a Chimera, or a white umbrella that I could shoot the light through, for a subtle soft key. I would leave some of the room lights on to give me fill and to light the background. If I had time, or if I needed it, I could use the second Pro Light to make a slash or pattern on the wall, or for a hair light, etc. A reflector on the third stand makes an excellent fill. I got some very nice results with that kit, and it was very portable.

A 250 or 500 W Rifa light might be a little faster, but less versatile and more fragile.

Enthusiast

Hi Thanks for your reply and ideas. I have an Omni light 550Wand Tota light -750W...the case is an 84 case. This kit and some gear has to travel by 'air' at some point to Mexico. ( new shoot) Going to take the Tota-light brella, gel-frame, reflector, my lite-pannels camera-lite all in a smaller padded suitcase. I may pick up another smaller lite-pannel-or one similar. I'll see if that works. Although the hard-shell may be best for airlines. Thanks for the advice....dan

Lowel has a great "DV creator" kit. Comes with 1 Pro-light, 1 Omni Light, 1 Tota light, umbrella and 1 Rifa. Hard or soft case. Light weight.