Thread: Keyboard

Default Keyboard

Ok, go ahead and freakin' shoot me, but...
    A friend is looking for a real good 'intelligent' keyboard that acts like a grand, with weighted key options. Another friend had the Roland KR-575 Intelligent piano but he bought it in 1997 for 7k. Surely there must be a newer, better, cheaper kbd on the market. Any idears or idea where to ask?

Thanky.

So you're looking for a MIDI controller as opposed to a synth? What price range? "Intelligent Keyboard," I think that term is somewhat passť these days. The "weighted keys" is a little tricky. You'll find some saying weighted and others saying semi-weighted and if one is used to a real piano they may not like the action on either. It's really something to go to a music store and feel. I use an Axiom 61 from MAudio. I think it might still be the best bang for the buck out there. The keys are semi-weighted. Does it feel like a real, even only decent, concert piano? Absolutely not.

Not that it really matters but what software are you planning to use with this?
    Last edited by Zwick; 10-31-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

"Intelligent" is in fact a valid term. One of the keyboards in our studio is a ReMote 61SL. No matter what audio app is fired up, it talks to it, and the controls on this MIDI controller conform automatically to that app.

There are many that fit exactly what you want on the market today. Call Sweetwater for a list of good recommendations for your price range. M-Audio aren't really the best keyboards around, they're really prosumer-ish. Not bad keybords, but when you say weighted, I tend to think of a very experienced pianist who really needs full professional quality. Weighted is not the same in every keyboard.

Call Sweetwater, get some recommendations, shop around, the the best value for your dollar.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

M-Audio makes pretty much nothing. The Axiom 61 is probably one of their best products, from whoever actually makes it. The downside to the Axiom 61 is some of the high profile knobs but that's only if you plan on carting it around or dropping the thing. You'd want the 2nd gen anyway which is a whole new design and I haven't tried it yet. There's a big difference betwen what one has and what one would buy today in ANY tech hardware.

Weighted on MIDI Controllers (and that's what they're called) is really rather synthetic. The keys are merely switches. A piano's action mechanism is exactly that, a mechanism. There's a lot going on in the process of actually striking the strings. If you want fully weighted keys look into the CME UF8 and don't call anybody, go some place and check it out. You know, we all have our favorite companies but I've never found Sweetwater to be that whiz-bang of a vendor myself. Nevertheless, stuff like this which is pretty particular, you go in, sit down and try it out. Then you look for the most reputable dealer with the best price and you buy.

Person in charge

If you want a full hammer style action Yamaha makes some very nice keyboards; though most fall into the "digital grand"category; they're made to look like a piano, and NOT portable at all and fairly pricey. The CP line is weighted action but not too terrible. They'll have basic piano and organ sounds and decent controller options.

StudioLogic has some very nice weighted action controllers with extensive controller capabilities (the Numa Nero is a hammer-style action, not too bad).
    Peace,

Uncle Bob

A craftsman knows how to avoid mistakes,
    An artist knows how to use them.

Yeah, I think maybe the OP was thinking that direction here and meant "intelligent piano." I remember when the 1st model from Roland came out and other than the practicality in size (not like they are portable either), based on price, wondered, what's the point? It's generally more an issue of aesthetics. We want something that looks like a piano, sounds like a piano but doesn't really take up the space of a piano or require a piano's maintenance. And we're willing to pay $7k-$20k+. Of course you also have more than one piano + effects but with sampling and sequencers getting as good as they have gotten I find it really difficult to justify the cost. But then I'm not really a keyboard player. I'm a person who might play keyboards.
    Last edited by Zwick; 11-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Person in charge

Sorry for my delay getting back, thanks for the responses. I don't know about midi controller, or what it is, she's just looking for a keyboard whose action is like a piano's. My friend said his Roland was very good at mimicing a grand. I'll tell her to check out the suggestions. Thanks again!