Thread: Fifth-frame stutter on ProRes files in After Effects

Default Fifth-frame stutter on ProRes files in After Effects

Hello, all!

I've got some movie files that I want to bring into an After Effects project, where they'll be flown around the screen while various animated elements play.

The files are all Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) codec, 1920 x 1080, 29.97 fps.

The After Effects project is based on the HDTV 1080 29.27 preset, with the pixel aspect ratio set to Square and the frame rate at 29.97 (non-drop display).

The problem is that as soon as I drop the ProRes file into a composition, every fifth frame is a repeat of the fourth frame!

When exported, all the animated elements play normally. It's just the embedded ProRes files that have the odd stutter.

I usually associate this problem with a bad 3:2 conversion, but as every link in the chain is 29.97, I don't understand what's happening.

Does anyone have thoughts? Much appreciated!

One thing to try in AE:

Drag footage to the project bin first,
    In the project bin, right-click the prores footage > Interpret Footage > Main...
    (cmd-opt-G on a Mac i believe)
    Make sure it is set to the correct frame rate there either by selecting "use frame rate from file" or by manually specifying the rate.

If for whatever reason that doesn't work for you then you can always export the original clips as PNG sequences and just drop the folder in and manually set your frame rate.

...hope this helps.

-Sam

Default Interpret footage

Hunh! An interesting idea. But... nope, it's correctly set, with the checkbox on "Use frame rate from file: 29.970 fps)".

I got excited when I saw "Remove pulldown", but that's off too.

Just for giggles, I tried clicking "Conform to frame rate: 29.97". But... no.

In a fit of pique, I tried clicking "Guess 3:2 pulldown." I got a message saying "Effective framerate of 23.976", but it kept repeating the frames!

I also tried setting the Comp to 24 fps. That eliminates the repeated frame, but also makes the clip faster (it runs 8:19 rather than the proper 8:25, suggesting it's just being sped up, which is not so useful).

The footage doesn't do this 5th-frame nonsense when viewing in Quicktime, so the problem isn't with the file.

And it *does* do it even when I create a new project in AE and drop the footage straight onto a comp.

So it's clearly some kind of problem with the footage coming into AE. But... what?