Thread: Stereo Sound in Studio Pro w/FCP?

Default Stereo Sound in Studio Pro w/FCP?

Hello,

Having trouble burning a Stereo DVD. I exported a aiff stereo file from FCP then imported that into DVD Studio Pro and it burns mono..

Please help!

Ted

Make certain that your PAN settings in FCP are actually set to Left and Right and not in the center (0).
    Bruce Nazarian, MPSE - "The Digital Guy"
    Apple Certified Trainer, DVDSP4
    Author: "DVD Studio Pro 4 - Complete Guide..."
    Webmaster: www.TheDigitalGuy.com | www.idmadvda.org
    Need authoring help? Ask me about The Digital Guy Connection service

Default Stereo

Okay, thanks! So don't have the tracks stereo paired?

Yes, they CAN be paired, but what's important is to be sure that their PAN settings are actually Left and Right - occasionally, I have found them to be set at Zero (0) (center) by mistake...

Default Stereo

When I stereo pair the sequence it automatically sets to -1 and lables it stereo in the viewer window... But isn't it favoring the -1 pan? Shouldn't I un-connect the tracks and pan one track to the left -1 and the other +1 to the right? When I un-connect them it lables it mono... But when I play the movie the tracks respond independently....

Tom, "stereo pair" audio clips are unique, in that the two channels pan and gain together in tandem. Thus, here's how it works:

When you have a "stereo pair" in FCP, -1 pan sets channel 1 to play out the left speaker, and channel 2 out the right speaker, as it should be.

Pan to 0 places both channels of a "stereo pair" to be mono, both equally playing out both speakers.

Pan to +1 for a "stereo pair" plays channel 1 out of the right speaker, channel 2 out of the left speaker, so that they are switched, playing the opposite of the original recording.

AND, if you have a stereo pair audio clip, it does NOT mean it is an actual "stereo" recording. If it is recording the same thing to both channels at the same time, it's going to simply be a two channel mono recording, and you can't magically make it stereo. There are some tricks we audio engineers can do, but that can become pretty involved.
    Last edited by BenB; 10-25-2011 at 07:43 AM.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Ben has a good point here - if the original recording was somehow accidentally recorded as mono in both channels, no amount of panning will make it stereo...