Thread: Thunderbolt Drive pricing

Default Thunderbolt Drive pricing

Speculation on Tbolt drives now that the Apple store is not only selling the Pegasus drives but also the La Cie "Little Big Disk." On the La Cie, 1 TB, $399.95 and 2 TB, $499.95. These are SATA drives, which of course have only SATA performance despite the "shocking speed" of a 10Gb/s interface. So the asking price, $100 difference from 1 to 2 TB means $100 per TB SATA drive (although a difference of 7200 to 5400 RPM respectively), I guess that means $300 for a case with a Tbolt I/O? But the Apple 27" ATD monitor wasn't jacked up $300 was it? Am I missing something here? Are the drive companies really having to pay that exorbitant a price to use Tbolt technology to have to charge $400 for a 1 TB drive? And what, Apple's just throwing it in on the $999 27" display?! And they are really misleading about the way La Cie, et al., preface product with this hype of 10Gb/s when it all boils down to the performance of the SATA interface. Behind the big pipe, we're only sucking on a straw. If you haven't priced bare SATA drives lately you can get a 1 TB 3.5" drive for about $50. I really thought Apple was going to have an answer to no eSATA on devices like the iMac but they just opened another door to gouge people.
    Last edited by Zwick; 10-06-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net