Thread: VHS cameras, pre 1985

Default VHS cameras, pre 1985

Hi guys, I'm looking to shoot a movie on a VHS camera. I'm looking for one that is obviously 100% functional - this includes a working battery pack. Ebay seems like a gamble - so I thought I'd reach out to a few pros in the field to see if you can point me in the right direction.

I live in Philadelphia, but go to NYC often.

Default Why?

Why? Are you trying for a grainy retro look? It seems like you'd be better off shooting on digital then applying filters in After Effects.

Ah, naw, for the real old VHS look, it has to be shot on a VHS camera. I remember shooting and editing on them when I was young(er), and it's a look that I've yet to see anyone really duplicate well.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Seems like this is a good excuse to get in contact with family and friends who had kids in the era from which you want your camera. There's a good chance a few of them have cameras, and a chance at least one knew how to take care theirs.

There's also a good chance that the battery packs may not be functional due to extreme old age. Even if cared for properly, they might not hold a charge any longer. However, a dead battery pack isn't the end of the world. They can be rebuilt by places like Batteries Plus, and many can be replaced.

You may have to spend a little bit of money on batteries, but if it gets you the effect you want, it certainly could be worth it to you.

Or you could do what we did in the '80s. Plan your shoots around electrical outlets & extension cords! :-D

debe

Administrator

I'd go eBay... And yeah I agree if you *really* want that old school look you need to shoot on VHS. That said, it's not hard to make VHS look pretty decent so keep that in mind as you shoot.

Noah
    Last edited by NoahKadner; 11-02-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Hey, my very first video back in 1973 was on my dad's already very old Brownie silent wind-up 8mm camera. Talk about quality and ease of use! How I miss inconsistent frame speeds, razor blade cuts (not on the film, either), and tape... NOT!
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

You can still find plenty of SVHS cameras that will shoot in VHS mode.

Cool Super 8

If it's a short, how about Super 8?

http://www.pro8mm.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc