Thread: Trouble burning??

Default Trouble burning??

I"m using DVD Studio Pro 4, on my iMac. It had been working fine for about a year, authoring and then burning lots of DVDs. A few months ago, I started having problems in the burning process. I author a DVD, but then during burning (either using "Build and BUrn" or "Burn"), the process stops, and I get message "The recording device reported the media error: unknown device error".

I CAN burn DVDs on this Mac by dragging Quicktime files onto an inserted DVD, so it doesn't seem like the actual burner is messed up.
    (and the DVD comes from the same spindle as the DVD that doesn't burn right on Studio Pro, so it doesn't appear to be the actual DVDs)

Any suggestions? Should I reinstall Studio Pro?

There's a VERY remote possibility that the device error you are getting is the early sign of drive failure...

I'd suggest temporarily connecting an external DVD burner to see if you can take a project to full completion with a different drive - if so, it might be time to consider replacing the internal DVD burner - they DO have a finite laser life, despite common belief to the contrary.

As an immediate alternative, you might want to consider trashing the DVDSP app prefs and letting DVDSP rebuild them...

As a workaround, you can BUILD the DVD volume to your hard drive, and use Roxio TOAST (10 or 11) to burn the DVD from the VIDEO_TS folder...

If Toast can't burn a disc, that further points to a problem with the burner...
    Bruce Nazarian, MPSE - "The Digital Guy"
    Apple Certified Trainer, DVDSP4
    Author: "DVD Studio Pro 4 - Complete Guide..."
    Webmaster: www.TheDigitalGuy.com | www.idmadvda.org
    Need authoring help? Ask me about The Digital Guy Connection service

I second Bruce in suspecting it could be signs of imminent drive failure.

I had one get flaky on me. I thought it was bad media for awhile. But after three totally different brands of media all refused to burn, I replaced the drive and every single disk that the old drive spat out was able to be burned on the new drive.

Replacements are about $35. And that gets you dual-layer burning if you don't already have that.

debe

I'm having a related problem. After years of never having a problem burning DVD's, I suddenly can't any of mine to play back (all I get is a grey screen). I've tried building to Toast and burning from there (my normal work flow) and still ng. I tried burning my projects on a second computer - same problem. I've tried burning old DVD projects and they won't play back - on either computer. I'm using the same Verbatim DVD-R disks I've been using for years so it's unlikely that they would start going bad in the middle of a spool of them that was OK just a week before. I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong or what could be the cause of this. Any suggestions?

I just discovered that it will play on my MacBook Pro as well as my DVD player, but not my Mac Pros. It never occurred to me to even try them on a DVD player because I assumed they were ng. Hmmm. Everything's updated on all computers. I've never had a situation where my DVD's wouldn't play back on the computer I made & burned them on. Why Macbook Pro and not the others? Odd.
    Last edited by parker2606; 10-12-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Bill

Hindsight Media
    Cambridge, MA

The same drive you've been using for years? It's probably the drive. I have a G5 in the other room that just finally went into semi-retirement after 7 years and that machine went through 3 internal and one external optical drive. What's your Mac?

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

I have 2 - one Dual Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHZ and one Quad Core 2.26 GHZ - and they both suddenly have the same problem. It's not that they won't burn properly (because the disks play back on DVD players as well as my Macbook Pro), it's that they won't play back what I've burned. They won't even play back disks I burned on older projects and used to play back fine. They will play back commercially made disks though.

It makes me wonder if there was a software update that affected my Mac Pros in a way it didn't affect my MacBook Pro. I can work around it in any case.
    Bill

Hindsight Media
    Cambridge, MA

No, that's a manifestation of how optical drives die. It's probably coincidental that both drives are having issues same time. I've seen drives that would burn a DVD and not a CD or vice-versa, burn but not read or vice-versa... One of the reasons optical drives are so inexpensive is because they make them cheap.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Thanks. I'll replace it on one and see what difference it makes.
    Bill

Hindsight Media
    Cambridge, MA