Thread: MacBook Pro 2006 worth fixing?

New User

Default MacBook Pro 2006 worth fixing?

My friend gave me a 2006 MacBook Pro and he said if I fix I can keep it.

The specs are:

2.16 Ghz Core2Duo
    1 GB of RAM (2 GB Max)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128 MB or 256 MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
    100 GB HDD

I ran some tests on it myself and then brought it to the Apple store. They said it could be good as new with their 3rd party service for a flat rate of $310.

Supposing it comes out the other end working nicely or perhaps as nice as it did in 2006, how much can I actually do with it?

It maxes out at 2GB of RAM and doesn't support Lion.

To be honest I'm not too worried about Lion b/c I'm not switching to FCPX. I'm sticking out FCP7 for at least another year.

If I stick to FCP7&Snow Leopard with offline editing rendering ProRes footage from an HDSLR can this machine manage that? I still have a 2010 iMac to do more serious work on. This would be a secondary machine.

Anyone have this 2006 MacBook Pro? It's the 1,1, 1st gen, version not the late 2006 MBP.

Administrator

You won't find anything else close for $310 so go for it. Should be fine with FCP 7.

-Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

New User

Great thanks! I needed a little assurance.

I would say go for it, but be aware that you are getting out there in age on the machine. I've seen too many Macs over six years old tank pretty suddenly with cascading hardware failures. My recommendation would be go for it, but start setting money aside for a new one in the next couple of years.