Thread: MAC Pro awfully slow question

Default MAC Pro awfully slow question

I have a Mac pro 3,1 - 8 X 2,8GHz
    With 8 gigs of ram at 667 MHz.
    Using FCP 7.03

THis is a machine i use at work and when i use just 2 video layers of XDCAM 1080p25 (35mb/s VBR) it stutters to a point where it is plain nearly impossible to work. Forget adding titles or anything else.

I dont know if the XDcam footage is plain too big, or if the ram is inappropriate for this HD footage....?

Can anybody please give me hand at finding a diagnosis for this?

Any input would be much appreciated and welcome.

Thanks in advance

in short could it be the ram which is insufficient? (8 gigs of ram at 667 MHz)

It's the XDCam footage. FCP does not work with it natively without a translator/decoder or being converted to another edit-friendly codec like ProRes.

Quite simply, XDCam is a long-GOP resource hog. You can get this software that lets you decode & edit the XDCam footage without converting it. The time you buy not having to convert to ProRes you lose on the back end upon export, however.

If you have a lot of footage and a short show, then it might be worth it. If you have a long show, it might not be worth it.

We used it on a interstitial series earlier this summer. It took 25 minutes to export a 4 and a half minute episode.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

debe

So debe, i just buy and install this software and it will make my edits and render work smoother and quicker? im not sure i fully understand how it works even after looking at their site.
    If i wouldnt use this software, then would you recommend that i convert my xdcam footage to prores?
    If so, simply using quicktime? or compressor?
    Thanks debe, any more input welcome, i long to just edit and not worry about these technical issues.
    Last edited by 747; 08-28-2011 at 01:12 AM.

I suspect that using it will allow you to play back the footage without the stuttering and such. Without actually seeing the problem, I can only extrapolate that this is the same thing I encountered earlier this summer.

You will not be able to work more quickly, however. Your renders and exports will take significantly longer because that's when the computer has to do the most work dealing with the long-GOP of the acquisition format.

So your options are to convert everything to ProRes first, taking the time before you start cutting to deal with the acquisition format, or to get the decoder, which lets you start editing sooner, but then takes a lot longer to process than ProRes.

Neither one saves you significantly more time over the other one. It's just where you want to save time.

debe
    (& sorry for the delay. I've been out with an injury)

Now i know what to do, thanks very much. I look forward to se it work!
    I hope your injury is not too serious, get well soon, and so you know, a friend told me to change the sequence render settings to pro-res which also reduces render times.
    All the best and thanks again!
    Last edited by 747; 08-30-2011 at 08:26 AM.

I am wondering: Does fcpx handle HD faster somehow? does it make the editing process go quicker than fcp7?

FCPX does have some significant improvements under the hood that will make some parts of the process faster. Background rendering, and the ability to access more RAM as a 64-bit application are two of the biggies.

The drawbacks to FCPX start when you want/need to use any of the existing workflows that include other applications, like exporting OMF for audio work in a DAW like ProTools, finishing in a professional color correcting application, or properly using an external monitor.

If you need to deliver anything other than a video for the web, FCPX may not be the right tool for you.

My clients are not asking me to use FCPX yet, so I don't have experiential knowledge of it. Hopefully someone who's been using it will chime in with more information that could help you in your decision.

debe

Hopefully the .01 version will be brilliant. I truly hope so.
    Thx debe