Thread: Lion kills Logic Studio (Logic 8) installs

Default Lion kills Logic Studio (Logic 8) installs

Just an FYI and I don't need anybody coming in and posting upgrade to Logic 9 either. Basically, even though Logic Studio is UB it appears the installer package is read as PPC and Lion rejects it.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Honestly, there are enough improvements in 9 to justify upgrading. 64-bit does rock. STP runs just fine in Lion. But it's good info to know about v.8.
    Last edited by BenB; 08-15-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

The reason I posted this is because money is an object for most people, not just me. I just upgraded to Adobe Production Premium plus one additional Adobe package from CS3 versions and a bunch of other stuff, some of it pretty pricey. On Logic Studio I'm going from a NFR and I really would like breathing room on the $499 right now. Logic 8 WILL run on Lion but you can't open it from the finder, you have to go through Terminal and type the full path but then first you have to migrate the app without the installer.

Person in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Zwick View Post
    Just an FYI and I don't need anybody coming in and posting upgrade to Logic 9 either. Basically, even though Logic Studio is UB...
    Good day. I note you're big on abbreviations. But what's this "UB" stand for, Zwick? The only think I could imagine is "unboxed", but that wouldn't fit the context would it?

EDIT:
    Oh. "Universal Binary". It seems I have to think really intensely, when reading some these.

CG
    Last edited by CreatvGnius; 09-02-2011 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Answer came to mind.

Every application version eventually get's outdated that a newer OS version won't support it. That's how technological evolution works.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

I have upgraded to Logic 9 Studio but I want to point something out which is blatantly obvious to many Logic 8 users. Logic 8 was not old and outdated, the package was barely 4 years old and had a very strong user base. This was "planned obsolescence." Not everybody working professional audio (or video, or any other creative pro environment) is able to simply drop the workflow they are accustomed to and leap to the latest. My primary desire to upgrade had nothing to do with Logic 9 by the way, I was perfectly happy with 8, but rather with Mainstage since this was the 1st opportunity for Mainstage to mature. Just as facilities working with FCP 7 had the need to add edit bays for current projects audio houses had similar needs. Apple gave no warning that Logic 8 Studio was going to crash under Lion. Fact was, Logic 9 wasn't working either, not properly with the 9.1.4 update and only until the 9.1.5 update on August 9th. Of course this was also true for Logic Express. Sure, the work around is to install Snow Leopard, buy an extra OS for a new Lion installed Mac, from Apple a 1-2 week delivery online--still, not the point. Apple is a great and innovative company but they have had a history of sometimes bashing us over the head with decisions under the guise of innovation, taking away tools we are accustomed to, tools which we rely upon, slowly getting things to work and leaving some users out in the cold in the interim. By the way, on the Logic Studio profile page at Apple.com they still tout, Soundtrack Pro 3, "The perfect bridge to Final Cut Pro."

Person in charge