Thread: New HD camera suggestions/not HDV or AVCHD

Default New HD camera suggestions/not HDV or AVCHD

I'm looking into a new HD cam. Would rather stay away from the extremely compressed HDV & HVCHD. What else is available for lower budget pro camera? I know DVCPRO HD is Panasonic's. I forgot what Sony's is. I think it's HDCAM but I need something that's under $9k. Better yet who knows of a web site that reviews all the newest sh!t.

Cameras I like but are the wrong format are:
    Sony HVR-Z7U & Panasonic AG-AF100
    Unfortunately, these are the HDV and AVCHD I don't really want. I need something that employs in 4:2:2 color sampling. Mainly for chroma keying efficiency. I'd also like to be able to shoot swish-pans or whip-pans if I want. I don't think HDV or AVCHD can do them at all.

Default Af 100

We use the Panasonic Hmc series but recently upgraded to the af100. Thing is amazing. We also have been using the Cannon DLSR's with the Cinema bundle. RedRock makes a great bundle for both the Dslrs and the Panasonics. Seriously, cannot go wrong with Panasonic. Never had a problem with any of them.

Check some of our videos out, and you can see the flow.

Thanks. Tim
    www.fourtenvisuals.com
    Last edited by FourTen; 08-04-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: wrong link

Default I like those too.

Yes, the Panasonic AF100 and DSLR's were the first places I looked but alas, all those use the highly compressed AVCHD or similar. No good for green screens.

Appreciate your input, thanks.

The Panny has SDI out. You can record on an AJA Ki Pro to Pro Res or the new Black Magic recorder to uncompressed 10 bit. Both are great for keying.
    http://www.arniepix.com/
    Post production is not an afterthought!

Administrator

True, AVCHD has a lower data rate than DVCPROHD but it's also far more efficient. It's like comparing computers from 2011 vs 2001. Or a gas engine to a Prius. Not on the same level. HDV is an older format so I'd rule that out.

AVCHD and H.264 are pretty much the formats you'll find on every modern camera that's not XDCAM (which is basically a hopped up version of HDV) DVCPROHD (which is a very hopped up version of DV) and then the really high end formats like HDCAM, RED, ProRes, uncompressed, etc.

I personally find AVCHD compression to be completely acceptable visually for just about any application. And if you get say a camera like the AF100 with HD-SDI out, you can always couple it with a ProRes or Uncompressed outboard recorder when you really need the finest possible image. But frankly if you're looking in the sub-$10K category I'm guessing you'll be fine with what's out there.

-Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Default Panny close but no cigar

Quote Originally Posted by arniepix View Post
    The Panny has SDI out. You can record on an AJA Ki Pro to Pro Res or the new Black Magic recorder to uncompressed 10 bit. Both are great for keying.
    Yes, this is why I was looking at the Panny but discovered it doesn't output 10 bit, only 8 bit.

Do you have a look at Canon XF series like 100? The video format is MXF, and it is less than $7K.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
    I need something that employs in 4:2:2 color sampling. Mainly for chroma keying efficiency.
    $9K is out of my budget, but there is a lower-cost option you might want to consider.

Find a camera that has HDMI out (check the specs to make sure the HDMI out is 1080p and not 720p). Marry that to an HDMI recorder. This will give you the 4:2:2 colorspace that you are looking for.

Please let me know what you finally wind up doing because I am building a green screen wall right now.

My Panasonic HPX-370 shoots in 10bit full raster 1920x1080 4:2:2 out to AVC Intra100, a really good codec. SDI out or records to P2 cards.
    Ed