Thread: Pops & crackles come and go in exported files

Default Pops & crackles come and go in exported files

How bizarre but not for the first time, when I export a sequence's aiff and open Soundtrack Pro, I find there are now pops and crackles that weren't there before.

This time I checked the original file on my Samsung H4n recorder and te crackles/pops are there.

I go back to FCP and use different takes to replace the words/syllables, export and create a Soundtrack Pro file.

Hours later I open up FCP and there's no pop and crackle. I check my H4n: No crackle and pop. Huh!?!

I repeat this is not the first time. I wonder if it's in the exporting a file for STP (H4n produces a .wav file, 44.1k audio rate, 16 bit that I've been exporting as 48k, 16 bit) that something weird happens and then gets missidentified and played somehow in even the original files it is copied from.

I just wish I hadn't emptied the trash that contained the STP-exported file that also had the pops/crackles to see if they were no longer there too.

The sequence is 48k.

I wonder if I should export .wav for STP, but whether as 48k or 44.1k would be wisest? Still, why would it cause even the original clip to have pops but hours later not?

Too bizarre!

Related similar experiences, tips or explanations would be fab to hear.

Thanks!
    Last edited by elmerlang; 07-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.

1st, convert to digital video standard AIFF 48kHz 16-bit.
    If you hear crackle and pops, look at the audio meters, see if they peak.
    If they don't, look at edit points, you may be editing audio files that are cut between transients (when the wave form is "not" crossing the middle "transient" line). You'll have to zoom really close in for this.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

New User
    Waikanae Beach, Kapiti Coast, New Zealand

In my experience issues of pops and cracklesthat arise intermittently like that can sometimes arise from the following problems:
    a) computer ram or motherboard faults.
    b) clocking issues
    c) sample rate issues

If you zoom in on a waveform and it appears as a straight vertical line at the point of the crackle/pop, it usually indicates a digital fault, which may be caused by one of the issues I mentioned.

Never seen that myself.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

New User
    Waikanae Beach, Kapiti Coast, New Zealand

If you know what you are looking for in a wav when zoomed in digital clicks or crackles are uoften pretty obvious in their more vertical "spikey" appearance. I have often removed them this way over the years

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your info. It finally went with no explanation.