Thread: Logic Studio X???

Default Logic Studio X???

I wonder, do I move to Logic 9 now or do I jump ship before it sinks when Apple pulls its "revolutionary" magic on Logic X? You know, when they take Garageband, make it all shiny and call it a Pro app.?
    Last edited by Zwick; 06-23-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Logic 9 is the major facelift, it is what I'd consider the X version. Very awesome software, 64-bit, Core Audio/Video/Animation, so it'll run in Lion and be good for a few more years. Or go ProTools. How much money do you have to spend?

As a composer/producer, I find it way nicer to work with then ProTools in my own studio. Best project studio app around.

How intense and heavy is your audio work? Are you recording lots of live instrument tracks, using lots of midi tracks, doing lots of multi-takes, piling on lots of audio processors?
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Administrator

Yeah not quite as radically revised but about as X-y as its likely to get for a while I'd bet.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

I've been with Logic off and on since it was Emagic. v.9 was a huge change, even compared to v.8. It's the first REALLY usable, really easy version. It's super easy to learn and use now. For a personal or project studio, way better choice than Pro Tools. 64-bit make it really nice to work with, along with all the interface changes.

New User
    Waikanae Beach, Kapiti Coast, New Zealand

Logic user here. Don't know what Apple will do in the future, but it's a great DAW platform at this time.

We've not seen or heard of any Logic Pro progress in a very, very, very long time. Pure speculation here, but it could be that Logic Pro is going to be folded into GarageBand like Color was (in a horrible manner) into FCP X. In which case some will continue to use Logic Pro 9 as long as the OS supports it. Personally, if Logic Pro is dropped, I'll immediately switch to Studio One from Presonus, which is as close to Logic as you can get at the moment, and not as bloated and expensive as ProTools. Unless Apple comes up with some way to "realistically" round trip to a true professional DAW some how.

I originally posted that comment as a joke with a hint of prophesy perhaps. I noticed recently a lot of hub-bub over Avid and Sibelius. Yes, different animal, a professional scoring application. I know several composers and copyists who use Sibelius and aren't too happy with Avid's move to dummy down the development team--most of whom were snatched up by Steinberg. Steinberg is opening a new London office, I believe this week. Personally, I'm struggling to find time to get back to conventional music notation and make some music that way because I find it more fulfilling. Our culture in the U.S. has been really successful in dummying down a lot of education but music education, the arts in general, are on the top of the heap. The tools will follow suit. After all, if you can't use it on your phone, where's the value?

Person in charge

And here it is, so we'll see...
    http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/

Person in charge

Let us know how you like it Zwick. I want to try it but I have to switch out FCP 7.04 to FCP X first so my learning time is going to be limited.

Dan