Thread: ME64 vs. ...

Exclamation ME64 vs. ...

Hi everyone,
    Well, to start with an nigh insolvable conundrum: I have the budget of a charity (literally), and want the audio quality of a Hollywood film (hopefully)!

I'm hoping someone can help me out in selecting the best microphone for indoor dialogue recording.

I have a DSLR rig, shooting educational videos in an indoor set. Right now, I have an ME66 microphone, recording to a Zoom H4n pocket recorder. I have learned the hard way, as many forums point out, that the ME66 (or any other shotgun mic) is not ideal for indoor use.

So, I am looking for a mic suited to the reflectivity of indoors. Right now, I'm leaning toward the ME64, a cardioid microphone that runs on the K6 powering module, which I already have.

I have read a lot of contradictory information online. Some say that a hypercardioid (such as the AT 4053b), not a cardioid, is best suited for indoor use. Others say a cardioid works just fine.

Still others say that the Sennheiser K6 series is "junk." This, I can't understand. Yes, they may be expensive, and not as good value as some other mics. But from my experience, the Sennheisers sound great -- in the right setting.

Would an ME64 be suited to my purposes, given that I am recording indoors and already own a K6? Or is there another microphone with sufficiently better audio quality, perhaps justifying an added expense over the ME64?

Please note: I do not have my heart set on the ME64, but budget restrictions limit me to a mic under $800.

Thanks for your feedback!

Joel G

Default One more thing...

I'm trying to avoid lavs... I recognize that it is a matter of taste, but I personally do not like seeing a lav mic on a subject's shirt, if it can be avoided.

I'm assuming that you are getting a hyper to use in addition to the ME-66.

The ME-66 was the standard low-budget shotgun for years. The explosion of indie filmmaking caused by the digital revolution added a lot of competition.

Opinions about audio gear are very subjective; what some folks love others will hate. I personally thought that the ME-66 sounded fine when recorded to analog tape (Nagra) or through a good analog mixer. However, when recorded directly to budget devices like the H4n the ME-66 and the -64 sounds brash and brittle to my ears. My mid/low budget preference is the Rode NTG-3.

Hypercardioids are a bit more focused than cardioids, which is why they are preferred; a cardioid would be okay. For a mid/low budget hypercardioid you should consider the Audio Technica AT4053b. It's pretty standard, and sounds good. B&H has it for $500, and a kit with a boom-pole, shock-mount, etc. for a little under $800. If you want to go ultra-micro budget you can look at the sE Electronics SE1A. It's about $150, but far inferior to to the AT4053b.

Always keep in mind - opinions are like butt-holes; everybody has one and they all stink.
    Peace,

Uncle Bob

A craftsman knows how to avoid mistakes,
    An artist knows how to use them.

Enthusiast

I would save up and go the other way, Schoeps.

the 41 is nice indoors, easy to maneuver http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/ca...cm_supercardio

but only one, then the CMTI 5 http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/shotgun

Somehow I don't think he wants to spend almost $7k on microphones, especially when he already stated he has an $800 budget.
    Peace,

Uncle Bob

A craftsman knows how to avoid mistakes,
    An artist knows how to use them.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback! I'm right now leaning toward either the AT4053b, or the AKG CK93, a modular hypercardioid that someone pointed out to me. The 4053 sounds like the most tried and true option. But I modular designs seem to be slightly more economical.

The Schoeps would be nice, but that would blow my budget a bit.

Thanks again,

Joel

I would get a used Sennheiser MKH416 (preferably the "P" phantom-powered version), then rent some additional microphones as needed. Wireless lavalieres can be extremely useful, and a skillful sound mixer knows how to hide the mikes in such a way that they're invisible on-camera. The trick is to avoid clothing noise and wind noise.

Renting sound gear is often a much lower-cost option than buying, provided you're in a major metro area close to professional sound companies.

Default Me-64

One thing that everyone seems to be overlooking is that the mic itself, without the K6 power module, is only about $169. Maybe he'd like to save some money? No rule says that one has to spend the entire budget on something.