Thread: setting up powered amp

Default setting up powered amp

I'm buying the Behringer A500 amp so i can run my DSR11 audio and a mixer through it. Are you supposed to hook up speaker monitors or regular speakers. I'm new to audio. Why are they powered? Why not regular speakers. thanks

What's the mixer? If you're going from a mixer, with pre-amps to this power amp you don't need powered/active reference monitors, you can get passive monitors. But you want to look into accurate passive studio monitors and not standard stereo speakers which generally add a lot of color to the sound. Buy the same token if you buy a good set of active studio monitors your probably don't need the power amp. Behringer would not be a first choice for me on any audio equipment.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Default is the right way....

I have my mixer hooked up to my Mac Pro so I can adjust my audio before I record etc. I have my DSR11 hooked up to a Yamaha receiver amp(which I want to replace with a straight power amp) so I can hear good quality audio when editing. What type of speaker would you hook up to the power amp?
    What do think is a good choice for a power amp just to hear good audio when editing. I thought The Behringer A500 2 channel at 200. was a decent value.
    Thanks

The reason I asked what the mixer was is because a lot is really dependent on the quality of the preamp, then down the chain. I can't recommend a passive pair of studio monitors, I'd have to go to a pro shop and audition some. Go check sites like Sweetwater, etc., read reviews and preferably go listen in a pro audio shop.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net