Thread: live recording to HD with HV30

New User

Default live recording to HD with HV30

Hi!

Im using Canon HV30 and wounder how I can record straight from the camera to the harddrive?
    • which program can I capture with (mac)? Final Cut - in that case - how?
    • I connect it as usually with the firewire, any settings I have to make in the camera?
    • I dont need any tape in the cam right? I can record straight into the HD
    thanks

Perik
    Last edited by perik; 09-22-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Hi, Perik,

I'm going off of memory here, so if I miss a step, I'm sure someone will chime in with a correction...

Connect the camera to the computer via firewire (USB won't work) and setup Final Cut Pro just as you would if you were capturing from tape via that camera. Switch the camera to camera mode. If all is correct, you should see output of the camera in the Log & Capture window. (You may have to consult the camera's manual to make sure it is sending the appropriate signal from the firewire port to the computer. I'm not familiar with the model of camera.)

Then, in the Log & Capture window, you would set it for non-controllable device. Then you would use the Capture Now button to record the signal coming in live.

I would not recommend this workflow, however, if this is an event that can't be recreated. If anything happens to the computer during capture, even a simple power fluctuation, the firewire cable gets kicked accidentally or someone heartily bumps the table the computer is on, you could lose everything that has happened between hitting Capture Now and the unintentional capture-ending event. Having a tape backup could ultimately save your bacon. (and there are about 6 more things I can think of off the top of my head that could go wrong with recording live to a hard drive via FCP... Some are recoverable, some are not.)

If this is a live event, I'd seriously consider looking into a AJA KiPro to use for capture. They can be rented for a reasonable amount, and the workflow is super-slick, especially is you need to have a fast turn-around.

If you're trying a stop-motion project or something, then it shouldn't be a problem.

debe

New User

thanks for reply. the workflow doesnt work for me. only 6 frames can be captures and think it has to do with the following:
    Then, in the Log & Capture window, you would set it for non-controllable device. Then you would use the Capture Now button to record the signal coming in live.
    the list with devices doesnt show up. thats very strange cause I know its been there before.

this part is missing:
    http://library.creativecow.net/artic...lledDevice.jpg

the Device controll menu is not there. I was going to choose "non controllable device" but the only thing thats in the Capture Settings is the possible to choose scratch disc.

any idea of what has happened?

how can I get this option back or is it done in another way in FCP7 than in FCP6??? pretty sure though it was there before though
    Last edited by perik; 09-23-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Are you trying to capture HDV or SD?

I might not be the right person to help here. I've never used HDV, but I do know there a a lot of pitfalls to the format.

I just can't tell you what they are from personal experience.

debe

New User

trying to capture HDV 1080i. I guess that would be settings of:

HDV 1080i50
    25 fps

in the easy setup in final cut

cause I am in Sweden where we use PAL. Is this correct setting?

but still extremely strange that I cant change to non-controllable devices?

I'm just not sure....I've never tried to do what you are wanting to do with an HDV camera.

Anyone else have any insight?!?

debe