Thread: Too many clips

Hybrid View

Default Too many clips

I just did a shoot with a borrowed HPX to go along with my own DVX. This was my first foray into shooting with P2 cards. Since my main camera was the DVX, the HPX was set for 480, 24P, DV to match the DVX's input. I shot 5 hours of tape and we did a clap-sync of the two cameras with every tape change. Otherwise both cameras ran continuously.

After some newbie confusion I was finally able to access (I guess "ingest" is the word being used, yes?) the P2 footage but what materialized in the FCP bin after transfer was unexpected. As I said the HPX ran non-stop along with the DVX so I expected five long clips. Instead there were something like fifteen clips of varying length. 3 minutes, seven minutes, eleven minutes, etc. However there was one repetition and that being five or six clips that were 19:50.

As you can imagine, syncing these clips is becoming fairly nightmarish. I only have a passing familiarity with multi-clip editing making it that much more difficult. I asked my buddy whose HPX I borrowed and he said, yeah, that's happened to him too, but he had no explanation.

So I ask you 2-poppers, what's the deal with this? And while you're at it, what's with the naming paradigm for the clips? It seems like the camera just generated random number/letter combinations for the file names.

Thanks

What version of FCP are you using?
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

It's the very latest...7 point whatever.

There was a 5.x or 6.x that was quirky like this, but 7 has be rock solid for me. Technically, yes, the clips are written to the P2 card with about a 3 minute limit, due to it being FAT-32 format, and thus a file size limit. But FCP's Log & Transfer plugin should "span" those to create one long clip.

As for recording a full hour long live event non-stop, I've always used an FS-100 for that with great success. Never use P2 cards for that sort of duration. Maybe others have, and can comment.

The file naming system follows a pattern, it means something, to Panasonic at least, but there is an order. Just ignore the last two letters/digits in the name. I always rename them, and fill out proper metadata in the Log & Transfer window. It's just good housekeeping. Even with tape.

Clip spanning issues, hmmm.... Yep, when we shoot SD with our HVX200, we use tape. You always want to use tape. It's much safer and more stable than tapeless, period. And not just on the HVX, but across the board. Tapeless is not for everyone, not good for long non-stop event shoots, not good for archiving.

Let me ask, are you reading the clips off the P2 card directly from the card inside the camera, or from a file copy to a hard drive?
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Interesting viewpoints. I must say, I'm surprised at your take on tape vs. tapeless. I will take it all under advisement. Thanks.

I dumped data from camera onto FW 800 external HD and worked from "File and Transfer"-derived files.

Quote Originally Posted by BenB View Post
    You always want to use tape. It's much safer and more stable than tapeless, period. And not just on the HVX, but across the board. Tapeless is not for everyone, not good for long non-stop event shoots, not good for archiving.
    I agree tapeless is not for everyone, but I don't agree that using tapes is "much safer and more stable than tapeless period."

In fact, my view is the opposite.
    David
    2-pop Guide

A New Blog About Video
    secondchairvideo
    http://www.secondchairvideo.com/

Well and I'm also wondering what the drawback of tapeless is in use for long, non-stop events?