Thread: P2 Import Freeze

Default P2 Import Freeze

Hey, All!

I'm experiencing a problem when importing certain P2 clips into FCP (I'm working with v 5.1.4 on a Dual-Core Intel w/8 GB RAM). When I add the clip to my queue, FCP freezes (I get the SPOD) & my only option is to force quit. If I watch the MXF file in the preview window, at some point the picture freezes but the audio continues.

Out of 150 clips, I've narrowed it down to 5 problem children. 2 of them are spanned clips, the other 3 are not, and they're all listed on the same card. The remaining 145 imported with no problems.

Any suggestions as to how to get around this? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed
    www.ohmyproductions.net

Yeah, back in the days of 5.x there was some buggy P2 behavior. Couple of questions.
    Are you transferring from the card in the camera, in a card reader, or from a copy to a hard drive.
    If from a hard drive, what is the hard drive configuration.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Hi, Ben,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm copying from a copy to a hard drive. It's formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & connected by FW800.

HHmmm... Not sure. I know FCP 5 was buggy about this P2 stuff on occasion. FCP 6 seemed to clear that all up. It should span properly.

You made a folder on the Mac's FW800 drive. You copied the CONTENTS folder, along with the LASTCLIP.TXT file from the P2 card into that folder you made on the hard drive. I'll assume this is what you did.

Not sure...

Mystery solved!

Went back to the camera op, who fortunately had not formatted the P2 card yet. Turns out the problem was a bad Duel P2 laptop adapter, which had been slightly damaged. The problem was repeatable when using the first adapter, but when he used a second, undamaged adapter the files copied with no corruption. Dodged a bullet there!

Thanks, Ben, for putting your time & energy into this. I really appreciate it.

Now back to logging....

Joy

The main reason I refuse to sell my 1st Gen MBP. Glad you go it solved! Adapters are very flaky with P2 cards.