Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: is rosetta a problem for new MBPro snow leopard

For the record, earlier this week had a Word doc (.docm extension) come in from a client that I couldn't open in Pages (that's the word processing and page layout app in iWork, for those following along.)

It opened in Text Edit, however, and I copied/pasted it into a Pages document. I did have to do a little re-formatting, but all was well. It was certainly worth my time to do it than to pay for Office. If it became a daily issue, I'd probably have to re-evaluate, but until then, iWork is my office apps suite of choice.

debe

thanks Debe
    not sure what a .docm document is. I am farmillar with .doc and .docx
    the cost of Office is not an issue (don't let my boss hear me say that) as I am the head of the AV department in a performing arts college but I understand what you are saying. good to keep in mind

Yeah. I didn't ask. I should have. So I googled it for fun:
    • Microsoft Office Word 2007 macro-enabled document (.docm)
    So, it sounds like there's some "complications" in the file that Pages can't decipher (yet)

I've not had any trouble opening a .doc or a .docx, either.

debe
    Last edited by debe; 02-19-2010 at 08:53 AM.

this is good to know.
    thanks

A Word document with embedded Macros can not be read by anything much other than Word, as the Macros embedded in it are Word specific data that other word processors won't recognize, and see it as a foreign file type, rather than just ignore the Macro data.

I get Word docs all the time, and work with them in Pages, and have established the rule in our studio that we do not accept Word docs with embedded Macros (.docm) from clients, period. We tell them to save it as a regular .doc, or we can't accept it. Never has been a problem, they always learn something new and are grateful.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Ben
    seems like a good policy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2