Thread: LaCie HD's remain on after shut down Mac Pro

Default LaCie HD's remain on after shut down Mac Pro

Just upgraded from a G5 to Mac Pro. I daisy chained all my LaCie drives to the new Mac Pro and they won't shut off when the computer shuts off. I spoke to Apple and LaCie and they have no solution. It seems like the signal is still going through to the drives via the Fire wire 800 even after shutting down. Does anybody have a solution to this besides unpluging the FW-800.
    Thank you,
    Arnie

Administrator

Nope but then again I've never been a big fan of LaCie. The only way to do this would be to unplug the Mac so it's not supplying power to Firewire or pull out the FW800 cable. I suspect this is something that will have to be fixed in their next drives because as it's hardware I don't see how a software fix will make a difference.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

The Mac Pro provides front and rear port repeating when the computer is powered on or asleep. Front and rear repeating is also available when the computer is off, unless the computer was shut down from Mac OS X with no FireWire devices connected. FireWire port power is provided when the computer is on, in sleep, or off.

EDIT: BTW, the above is all from Apple's support pages on FW at the Developer's site. I just wanted to add something. One, if you have to use FW drives I recommend getting drives which come with an AC adapter. There you have a power switch and can unmount and turn off if need be. Two, I don't think this is a big issue and perhaps it's just that you're not used to the drives staying on, is that possible? If you eject the drives, either by dragging to the trash or shutting down they're not doing anything. So is there really an issue with them getting current? And, ya know, you get the pretty blue light and all.

I for one don't recommend shutting down on a tower. UNIX-based operating systems do some self-maintenance in the wee hours while idle and probably the hardest thing on the overall box's health comes with turning the darn thing on and off. Also, having an adequate UPS battery backup is a must, so you may shut down properly in case of a power outage. Power outages, brownouts, glitches, etc., are probably the #1 killer of FW drives.
    Last edited by Zwick; 02-12-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Zwick, yes, I am used to shutting down at the end of the day. I thought that if they are not spinning, less wear and tear. The LaCie's all have an AC adpator but only the fairly new ones have an on/off/auto switch toggle. I take it from your posts that you prefer internal drives? Please explain "port repeating" Thank you, Arnie

But they're not spinning, they're idle. Yes, internal drives or eSATA. You now have a Mac Pro which supports 4 internal drives up to 2TB per drive. You can buy 1TB SATA drives for less than $100 and 2TB for less than $200 and changing or adding drives is a snap (OK, maybe 2.) Daisy-chaining FW drives to a Mac Pro is like putting Volkswagen parts on a Ferrari.

Port repeating is basically a method of maintaining signal integrity by repeating. It's not that pertinent to this discussion. By the way, I believe G5s do the same, at least for the rear FW ports.

Person in charge

Got it. Thank you.

Is it just my imagination that the video looks better on the new Mac pro & FCP 7 than on the old G5 and FCP6?

Probably a side effect of the investment.

Person in charge

By pressing and holding the blue light, the drive will shut down.