Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Panasonic AG-HMC40

Default Panasonic AG-HMC40

Hello...does anyone have an opinion on this camera? I am a semi-pro hobbyist who shoots mostly short films, web series, and indie music videos.

I am currently using the Sony HVR-A1U. I plan on doing a good amount of chroma key work in the future, and have been told HDV isn't great for green screen. I've also been frustrated with frequent dirty heads, and the bottom loading tape deck is annoying when using a tripod.

I've become more and more interested in tapeless recording, and would like the ability to record progressive. Plus, the price is within my budget.

Does anyone have any experience with this camera?

Thanks so much!

Administrator

My review of the HMC40 will appear in December DV Magazine.

For the price point, I am very impressed with this camera. The combination of the efficient AVCCAM (Panasonic's implementation of AVCHD) and small form factor makes it an excellent entry-level camera or even as a B camera to the HMC150.

While more expensive, also look at the JVC HM100.

There is debate over whether AVCHD is superior to the XDCAM EX codec of the HM100. I like the control layout of the HM100 better. But HMC40 is also $1000 less expensive (presuming you purchase the $500 XLR block for the HMC40-- otherwise your savings is $1500).

Either camera is superior to the tape-based HDV you are currently shooting.

Ned Soltz
    2-pop Guide

We have one, and it produces startling beautiful footage.

However, it needs light, so if you are looking for a good low light cam, not the best choice.

In good light, wow.
    David
    2-pop Guide

A New Blog About Video
    secondchairvideo
    http://www.secondchairvideo.com/

Cool, thanks Ned & David! That was very helpful.

Ned, I look forward to reading your full review in DV Magazine. I'm very intrigued. I was excited about HDV when I first bought my old camera, but have just totally lost interest.

I like the possibility of getting the HMC40 now, and adding the HMC150 as I can afford it. I'll be looking into the JVC, as well.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sharonrocks View Post
    Cool, thanks Ned & David! That was very helpful.

Ned, I look forward to reading your full review in DV Magazine. I'm very intrigued. I was excited about HDV when I first bought my old camera, but have just totally lost interest.

I like the possibility of getting the HMC40 now, and adding the HMC150 as I can afford it. I'll be looking into the JVC, as well.

Thanks again!
    I would strongly recomend that you invest in the ag-hmc40. I just bought one and I am very pleased with the video that I've got from it. I've been burning video from it to blu ray and the video is dazzling high definition. I think the direction that high def is going will be to sd media. I own a Sony FX7 and it's pretty much collecting dust. It doesn't hold a candle to my hmc40. If you're worried about needing enough light to shoot video with it, just get a video light for it. That's what I do with all the cameras I buy. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks, pigbut4u3. I think after reading your opinion and Ned's DV Magazine review, I'm going to do it!

Most of what I'm shooting will be well-lit, and is usually seen online. This camera seems like a real winner.

And my poor HDV camera just isn't getting my love anymore...

Default Panasonic AG-HMC40

Quote Originally Posted by sharonrocks View Post
    Thanks, pigbut4u3. I think after reading your opinion and Ned's DV Magazine review, I'm going to do it!

Most of what I'm shooting will be well-lit, and is usually seen online. This camera seems like a real winner.

And my poor HDV camera just isn't getting my love anymore...
    I'm glad that you decided to get the HMC40. Hope you enjoy the amazing HD video it produces as much as I do. I'm also thinking about purchasing a video light for mine, one that comes with it's own power source as the HMC40 only has a cold shoe. Good luck and happy shooting.

Default Any tutorials on how to use this camera?

Hi all,

I have this camera and love it! Although I am using it...I am sure I am not using it to it's fullest potential. Could someone point me in the right direction for and "How to" info.? Or would there be a DVD on how to use this camera? Thanks!

Barry Green sells a book for the HMC40 and HMC150.

http://fiftv.com/HMC40/
    David
    2-pop Guide

A New Blog About Video
    secondchairvideo
    http://www.secondchairvideo.com/

Administrator

Last edited by NoahKadner; 04-21-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast