Thread: Fastest P2 ingest method?

Default Fastest P2 ingest method?

Hey all,

I have a P2 question. We have a large shoot in January where we will be shooting press conferences and keynote speeches and quickly processing them to be online on our website. My bosses would love to shoot them all in HD (720p) but our only MAJOR concern is the speed by which we can dump one Press Con's footage to move onto another seamlessly. This will all be shot on the Panasonic HVX200a with 6 16 gb P2 cards and most of the press cons will be between 45 minutes and an hour (so possibly 3 P2 cards at 720HD).

I've been doing tests the last few days on the speed of uploading the video files to FCP using "Log and Transfer" to a Firewire Capture Scratch folder and its been clocking in at around 16 minutes, which seems a little slow.

Does anyone have any tips or workflows to speed up the P2 footage ingestion process? Software? Hardware?

Also, what have other users estimated in terms of times it takes to ingest the footage? Any sage advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!

Joe

Administrator

The fastest method I know of is the P2 Drive. Going card by card into a laptop or god forbid via the camera is going to take forever. It's worth the purchase or rental if speed is the concern.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro..._o/p2/p2drive/

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Noah,
    Thanks so much! Would you roughly know how long it would, say, take a full 16gb card to be uploaded using the P2 drive? I also checked and there supposedly is a 2 card and a 5 card reader...do you recommend a particular one? I think we might go with the 2 card drive (if it does exist, Ive only seen stuff for the 5 card).

Again, many thanks!
    Joe

Administrator

Not more than 10 minutes I'd guesstimate. If you search the web you'll find more exact numbers.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Hello Joe,

If your cashed up/or have a good budget, do as Noah advised and get the Pana 5 card solution.

Cheers
    Tom K
    olinevideo.com.au
    Last edited by Tom K; 12-04-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: correction
    Nothing is Impossible, just Difficult. olinevideo.com.au

Default Please help the noob :P

How do i get the footage off of my panasonic hvx200a p2 e series card, using a usb/fire wire to my Imac?

Use the USB or Firewire Connect mode to mount the cam and card after installing the drivers.
    David
    2-pop Guide

A New Blog About Video
    secondchairvideo
    http://www.secondchairvideo.com/